Dumping Surprise

28 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Why not use a "garden" hose?  

Even a 3/4 inch one would be a bunch easier to handle versus ANY slinky I know of.

Bill

Well sugarfoot!  I guess I’ve had black water tanks so long, I didn’t begin to think of just using a hose…

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
On 10/24/2023 at 7:09 AM, Ronbrink said:

I transitioned from Rhino Extreme with twist-on lug fittings to Waste Master with CAM lock fittings. I didn’t like the way the Rhino would ‘snake’ and expand in length when dumping, and carrying two 10’ sections, just in case extra length was needed, was a tight fit in the rear compartment. The WM 20’ hose is more robust and smoother inside for better flow and ease of cleaning, compresses to ~5’, holds the desired extended length when setup; and has a clear view port, 90° discharge with a handle, control valve and rubber doughnut at its’ terminus.

Looking at their web site, it shows the dimensions required to leave the hose attached all the time as 10" from the face of the outlet fitting to the inside of the bumper.  My 2023 only has about 7" available. Do you disconnect your hose each time, or did you modify the existing outlet pipe?

If I went this route, I'd still need to use their optional "Back to Bayonet" fitting, as I use a macerator pump at home.

Thanks

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

56 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Why not use a "garden" hose?  

Agree, there are simply times when a garden hose would suffice for dumping gray water. So, I often utilize an alternative to the traditional sewer hose when wanting to rid excessive gray water when the black tank still has usable capacity, thus avoid having to break camp prematurely. There are also times when traveling following a CG dump that the head may be decommissioned, but there is gray water accumulation. In these instances, this Waste Master accessory enables use of a garden hose, as needed. However, in my setup there is a six foot section of 5/8” ID clear silicone tubing fitted with a PVC ball valve at its’ terminus. I keep this attached, as it also serves to visibly inspect for potential leaks/seepage from the closed OTT dump valves, and is readied for any gray water dumping; the length is enough to reach most dump receptacles, as well.

IMG_4724.thumb.jpeg.a3a21963aa496bf7a4af3146df4b3262.jpeg

IMG_4725.thumb.jpeg.02dd96094aa62afe09566d8e04dc198f.jpeg

IMG_6360.png

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

47 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

Do you disconnect your hose each time, or did you modify the existing outlet pipe?

Typical installation requires altering the OTT’s discharge pipe by shearing off the bayonet retention posts and gluing on a supplied female CAM lock fitting to connect the WM, which is what I did. However, bayonet fitting converters are available and perhaps can alternatively be used to maintain subsequent use of any bayonet-type applications. In my instance, there is just enough room to keep the sewer hose connected, but is generally disconnected and capped, as explained in another comment. As measured, that distance is 4.5” from the closest point of the female CAM lock fitting to the inside rear bumper surface. That distance, at minimum, would be your target with use of said converter in an install.

IMG_4729.thumb.jpeg.264332df9f20fe08982240779d02362c.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

35 minutes ago, Ronbrink said:

installation requires altering the OTT’s discharge pipe by shearing off the bayonet retention posts and gluing on a supplied female CAM lock fitting to connect the WM

Thank you. I'd read through the installation instructions, and then found the dimension PDF linked above. That's when I wondered if it fit with the hose attached. Dimension Vc Min is 10" or less with the short CamLoc fitting, but my trailer only has 7". Using the dimensions from the chart, it looks like there would only be 3-7/8" from the face of the short CamLoc to the rear bumper. That's where you say 4.5" would be a minimum for keeping the hose attached.

Maybe Oliver changed internal bits between our build dates. Or they just cut an arbitrary length fitting, since it typically wouldn't matter.

It certainly looks like a flexible system (pun intended), and a vast improvement on the supplied hose. I've only used the supplied hose a handful of times, since I usually dump at home with the macerator pump.

Thank you for the reply!

Screenshot2023-10-25at12_18_59PM.png.104bc094ad4ba0a02842c3b64335e005.png

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

27 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

That's where you say 4.5" would be a minimum for keeping the hose attached.

Here’s a pic with the sewer hose attached. When I stated “just enough room”, the rear bumper when closed does not press against the hose when attached. It could probably be compressed into a smaller space with a tighter install, but that’s not ideal. Personally, having the hose connected when not is use has no benefit, in fact there may even be undue stress at that bend in doing so. I showed in another comment the end cap used, maybe you should consider doing the same if the WM appeals to you. I can see where the male CAM lock to bayonet adapter could work in your desired application. 

IMG_4733.thumb.jpeg.f56dcc0bd21a66779c396600bc93b9da.jpeg

IMG_6362.thumb.png.efe169f1fd9c72d34f1d5fa110483acb.png

• Thanks 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4