Fixing a rattly bumper mount

Snackchaser

Greetings!

I didn’t find any existing posts about this minor issue, so it’s probably worth mentioning how I addressed the rattle-fit (optional) rear bumper.   

This issue first became noticeable after mounting our Swagman bike rack to the bumper.  With 2 bikes and the single 1-1/4” mounting point, there was a lot movement in the bike rack when going down the road.  Most of this was attributable to flex in the 1-1/4” bike rack mounting tube which I addressed separately.  However there was also appreciable play in the bumper mounting design because of Oliver’s quick release pin design.  Those pins look cool and everything, but I don’t think I’ll be removing the bumper too often and removing 4 bolts is pretty quick too.

I tried replacing the pins with pass through nuts and bolts, and I noticed others have done that too.  But no amount of tightening stopped the square bumper tube from rattling inside of the square receiver tube.  This was like a sloppy receiver hitch, and the solution is similar to those after market threaded hitch pins (a great modification BTW).

I used short 3/8” SS bolts that don’t pass all the way through both tubes.  Rather they go from one side of the outer tube and they thread into Spring-Nuts that are nested inside of the inner tube.  This effectively pulls the tubes together on each side for a tight and movement free fit.  I used lock washers to assure the bolts wouldn't loosen and come out, but proper torquing and a longer fully threaded pass though bolt drilled for a pin would work too.  

I got the 3/8’ Unistrute spring nuts from my local ACE’s electrical department.  Just push them inside the bumper tube with a stick, and line up the holes.  Although these replaced 1/2" pins, I'm not concerned about decreased size for this type of load.  After-all, the entire trailer load depends on a single 5/8" hitch pin used in a similar load configuration.

Cheers, Geoff and Tanya

IMG_2792.thumb.jpeg.434b5212b41c8559317e10b831f8533a.jpegIMG_2790.thumb.jpeg.2554dc53ac6eeedcf02904a1df246d14.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

I used a ratchet strap to minimize the slop between the bike rack and the bumper mount, and between the bumper mount and the trailer. I put just enough tension on it to pull both joints "up", and then a click more. This allows a little bit of bounce to absorb road irregularities, but eliminates almost all of the movement I had before adding the strap. (Yes, I later replaced the hook with a clevis. 😉 )

IMG_9553.thumb.jpeg.d37fe47298d2f9db64871bdaadb54c68.jpeg

IMG_9537.thumb.jpeg.4ee7b2caac7be073490ad2a4ea3e81ab.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

Steve, where did you find the hook that is threaded onto the spare tire cover bolt? I have the same setup and would like to add this enhancement to my rack. Thanks

Jeff

• Like 1

2014 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 Power Stroke with heavy duty tow package; 3.55 ratio; AirLift rear suspension

2023 Elite ll Twin Bed and Lithium Pro and Truma Package; Hull #1368; Delivery Date: April 12,2023

Homebased in Richland, WA

On 11/27/2023 at 10:39 AM, Jeffemac said:

Steve, where did you find the hook that is threaded onto the spare tire cover bolt? I have the same setup and would like to add this enhancement to my rack. Thanks

Jeff

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7V8ZT6L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg