The $100 Solar Powered Boondocking Option: Costco Panels

We used Two 100 Watt Costco Solar Panels that they sell new in the box for just under $100.  I bought three.  Two to use and one as a spare.

Each panel comes with instructions and wiring.  The Airstream had an external connection for Solar on the Battery Box that holds the two 12 volt AGM Interstate Batteries that now can be purchased, also at Costco.

I am not an electrician.  I am not a Solar Installer for a Travel Trailer lot.  You connect the + to the + side of the battery and the - to the - of the battery with the +/- of the Solar Panel.  Diode is yellow when Charging and Green when batteries are charged.  I could run a long thin pair of wires to place the Solar Panel against a milk crate with some rocks added, and move it with the Sun.  Then I bought a second panel added it and charged faster.

I sold the 25 foot Airstream and gave them one panel and now have Solar on the Roof of the Oliver and the Airstream. Easier for sure... but the Costco panels I have two left and if I need them in the future... repeat what I did previously.  My rooftop Solar Panels provide us with all the 12 volt power we need.  If they do not keep up with our simple needs for minimal power... add a panel, lean it against a Milk Crate and back in business.

If anyone is curious I will try to find some photographs of our Portable Solar System for $100 and double it for $200. Better than the Honda that came with the Oliver that we never use.  No Air Conditioning or TV while Off the Grid Boondocking.  If you  NEED Air Conditioning and Television... look into an expensive Generator that needs to be hauled around with gasoline.

Been doing our own Solar since 2006.  I am a Neanderthal, but common sense and two thin wires was MAGIC to ME.  You may want to explain how you managed to ADD portable Solar for the price of a roll of wire and some wire connectors and go Human Bean.  Like me.   

• Like 2

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Our 23 foot Airstream had a 50 watt Solar from the Factory.  We added a portable 100 watt Panel and connected it to the batteries and had a plug to keep the + and - properly installed, and could plug the Solar Panel into the exterior connection and remove when breaking camp.

Our 25 foot Airstream had NO Solar, but the battery box had a connection to wire Solar onto the two AGM Batteries.  Had one 100 watt Costco $100 panel and then purchased a second, just in case they quit selling panels.  We sold the trailer and gave the new owner the one panel.

Our 27 foot Airstream has 200 watts factory installed Solar and we thought we may need a portable, but with the extra 100 watt portable panel in use, we were NOT draining the 200 watt  power providing plenty of Solar Charging for our Off the Grid Boondocking minimal power needs.

Vent fans, lighting, radio, furnace fan... and this model had Propane, 12 volt Solar and Power hookups for 120volt if needed. Best optimal combination for us.

The Oliver has the two Solar Panels on the Roof from the factory and provides plenty of 12 volt power for us.  I kept one used Costco 100 watt panel, just in case and purchase another and left it in the carton, unopened.  Never know what the future may provide us a need.  Cheap insurance.

Our 2019 27/28 foot Airstream and 2019 Oliver Elite II have plenty of Solar for Boondockers like us and our three Blue Heelers.  The four 6 volt batteries that were in the Oliver provide more than we every could use. The Airstream has the two AGM 12 volt batteries and work just fine with Roof top Solar and have not needed an extra panel for either trailer.

When camped at elevation it gets cool to cold at night. We orientate the trailer TO SUNRISE... and the Solar Panel. At elevation the Sun is HOT and the AIR is Cool.

I am not a electrician, but the instructions were written so a Neanderthal could understand.  Any Human Bean should have no problem.  Just know the + and - are... important.

I suspect that few Airstream or Oliver owners really care about Boondocking Needs... but we do and if this helps one Oliver owner... it was worth the time to make this up as I type.  Now some photographs I found useful for you to understand you can use a small gauge good wiring many feet from the trailer. When the shade and sunlight move... you move the panel.  Gives me... goosebumps.  Sort of.  🙂

DSCN5424.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

DSCN0471.jpg

DSCN0194.jpg

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Good for you that rooftop solar does the job. It does for us, most of the time.

If we park in shade, or a string of bad solar days, we too have had the Coleman 100 watt panels (cheap at $1 watt) from Costco for many years. They work. The chintzy pwm controller onboard ours was not great. We rewired to send to our onboard controller. More complicated, more engineering required, but better connection, and less loss over distance. 

Portable solar is used by many here, either as primary, or secondary source. 

As secondary, most controllers play well with portable panels. Even if directly connected to battery, as I'm only guessing you do.Its not always evident which panels are supplying power, depending on your electronics. Simple truth is, batteries get charged, charging stops when necessary,  and, done.

We have solar on our house, boat, and trailer. Eay, quiet, and free.

The coleman/costco panels aren't too heavy for me to deploy and move around, but aren't terribly efficient.  They often do the "job."

There are other much  more efficient panels out there, now, with lighter weight, but, like you, we rarely use them,unless camped for a period of time, and, hey, we already own them. Right?

Were I buying today, it wouldn't be the colemans. It is a great starter unit. Just big, and awkward to store, and carry, in my opinion. Vs power production. 

Not really meant for long distances of thin wire, beyond the short cable provided, in original oem package, imo.

Back in the day, it was a great value. Today, I'd look for better production vs bulk_weight value. And, since most Ollie owners opt for a good sized solar package, it's a tradeoff.

There are many suitcase solar packages ready or adaptable, or, made by ownet,that offer better bang for the buck, if needed. 

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.