intermittent running light/tail light failure

As we subject our trailers to the abuse of highways and travel, we should expect some problems and issues. But one that I had not expected came from the original installation of the cellular telephone extender external antenna, mounted on the top, rear, street side of the trailer. 

When I would plug in the trailer electrical connection to my truck, the running lights fuse in the truck would blow. I figured the plug had a problem, so changed the plug. Still the same problem. Let it set for a few weeks, for various reasons, and it worked fine. The problem was everytime the fuse blew, it was $6 for a new fuse. And I didn't know when/why the fuse was blowing. So, I took it on the road, and eventually, about 2 days out, the fuse blew again. I just didn't drive at night or in the rain. When I got home, I took it to the trailer repair store - Conejo Vacation Trailers in Thousand Oaks, CA. Mike had the trailer for 6 days and figured out that one of the screws from the antenna mounting had made its way to the running lights wire insulation, and caused a short. It had punctured the insulation enough to cause the short. 

A green wire provides power to the running light/marker lights/tail lights. He was able to trace the green wire and through elimination, figured out the problem. He removed the screws from the antenna mount, glued the antenna mount onto the trailer and filled the mounting holes, and no more intermittent problem. I have been on the road for 3 weeks now without a blown fuse. 

I only mention this in the case that someone else has a similar problem. Oliver service had not heard of a similar problem. Mike, from Conejo Trailer, spent time on the phone with the Oliver service people, who were helpful in helping him to trace down the problem. (something else that should never have happened, as my drawer fell out again today. Tired of having to use duct tape to hold the drawer closed.) 

• Thanks 2
  • Wow 1

2022 Ford F150 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

Map of Provinces I Visited

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWIWYmed[1].jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
5 hours ago, JRK said:

Tired of having to use duct tape to hold the drawer closed.) 

More than a few of us have completed the John Davies kitchen drawer strap mod for the very same reason.

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

9 hours ago, JRK said:

Tired of having to use duct tape to hold the drawer closed.

Duct tape? Hope you're kidding. I never want to do the tedious strap mod on ours. We had one drawer doing that and found out it needed a new slide latch. This is the part, very good backup parts to have btw considering the price: Side to Side Adjustable Locking Device for 563/569 Series Blum Tandem Drawer Slide - 2 Pair (4 Pieces) with Installation Screws - Amazon.com

Since the repair we've never had drawers opening and the roads out here can be bad, even after 25 miles of washboard dirt roads. Have you checked your suspension for any issues? Is your tire pressure set BELOW 50 PSI MAX? Run ours anywhere between 42-46 depending on temp and altitude. Common cause for any interior cabin disarray is certainly running tire pressure too high.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

More than a few of us have completed the John Davies kitchen drawer strap mod for the very same reason.

Strapworks.com in Eugene, Oregon is a great source for straps, footman loops, and all things related.  I’ve used them a number of times. 

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush
  • Like 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

The other thing we do is to keep heavy pans and kitchen utensils in the lower drawers and in the back of the drawers. Again, no problem ever on ours and check out this route! From 5400 FT at home to 1960 FT at the campground, twisties for 90 miles on a narrow 2-lane hwy. Do you want a Band-Aid or to correct cause? Last trip to UT, I hit 3 bridge seams too fast on one highway and the Oliver literally bounced, I cringed each time, but nothing was amiss inside. Just sayin'.

image.png.84760905e1527e839c5538907e9f5cd1.png

When Oliver was putting 85 psi in the tires, there were many issues. That has been resolved, but I have not heard of 42-46. They changed it to 65 psi, but I have been using 60. I will try a lower psi rating. Cooper tires are rated at 85 psi max, which is why I was told that they were to be set at 85. I do have a single axle model, which uses a different tire pressure, I think.

I have been using duct tape on the middle drawer of the LEI since new. The latches do not hold, and I have not found a set that works and fits. I will look into the ones that you suggest. Thanks. I have not had a response from Oliver on which latches I should be using. When new, window frames were falling off, countertops were coming loose. It was interesting, looking to see what new had fallen off. Oliver said that the warranty would not be valid if we went below recommended tire pressure, which was 85 psi.

2022 Ford F150 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

Map of Provinces I Visited

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWIWYmed[1].jpg

1 hour ago, JRK said:

When Oliver was putting 85 psi in the tires, there were many issues. That has been resolved, but I have not heard of 42-46. They changed it to 65 psi, but I have been using 60. I will try a lower psi rating...

Problem is too many company policies are created by lawyers. OTT is likely worried some of us will load our trailer up to 10K LBS, so they likely factored in a 50% margin in their number. 

The rating on the tire is MAX. Tire companies do not suggest running at MAX unless you are running MAX weight. This chart is for the OEM tire brand/model and you can look for a Cooper table, but for the same size tire, Load Range E, they will all be about the same. Notice at 50 PSI on the table the rating is 2090 LBS. We have four (4) single tires (The rows marked "Dual" are for dually TVs and Class-C RVs). Four times 2090 = 8,360 LBS and nobody should load that much stuff into their Ollies! 65 PSI on these tires is for a dual-axle trailer with two 5200 LB axles.

At 40 PSI, 4 of these tires will carry 4 x 1795 = 7180 LBS and the Oliver Elite II has a GTRW of 7,000 LBS. Therefore, if you are not exceeding the GTRW you can run as low as 40 PSI. Most of us add a little margin, but regardless of the OTT company position 60 PSI is WAY too much. In prepping for our last trip, when I check pressures, all 4 tires were between 46 and 48 PSI, so I made them all 46 and did not have to extend the air line from my compressor. The all had just the right amount of bulge at this pressure. 

image.png.a792d5448171b7f1777c97c8029a8dcc.png

• Like 1