A pretty interesting vid on EVs.

An interesting vid on EVs and the enviromental cost associated with producing and owning an EV.

• Thanks 5
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderators

Your Ford f350 probably weighs in excess of 6k, unloaded. 

My old Silverado does, as well.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Welcome to the New Green **** (scam). Weight is only one of many factors. The manufacturing pollution created in China is X times the life of the carbon emissions of average ownership duration.

I’ve kept MANY combustion-engine vehicles over 10-20 years. There is considerable savings in that, to the environment and pocketbook!

Always love when I see a used hybrid at a dealer or on Craig’s! Excellent condition, but 6-8 years old. Get ready for the cost of new batteries! Very soon the marketplace will have thousands of EVs, not worth 20% of new.

Cars, trucks, yard and power tools… I’ll keep my 20+ combustion engines on our property. And I can rebuild them with my own two hands! I say this as I install 600AH LiFePO4 in our Oliver. This is where it belongs; RV, boat and home.

BTW, our electric bill is up at least 30% this summer. Natural gas in AZ, still reasonable (likely not in NE for either). Sorry for the diatribe! Hoping for new policies in the new year… Pray, hope.

• Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Your Ford f350 probably weighs in excess of 6k, unloaded. 

My old Silverado does, as well.

Though it appears the F150 EV weighs as much as a F250. I’d rather have the extra weight in HD suspension components.

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

I get that. I love my 2005 Silverado, and I'll literally drive it til it won't "drive no more." Paid for decades ago, simple maintenance. 

We will, unfortunately,  have to adapt. We already see the problems with hybrids, and "eco" gasser engines. 

My 7 year old tesla x jas had a maintenance bill of 4 tires, two wipers, and a 12v battery. I'd say 1500 to 2000, over 7 years. No oil changes,etc.  You'd have had the same bills, for any gasser, plus plus. 

That said, I'd never likely try to tow with the x. 

The cyber truck, as cool as it is, is too big for me. Too big for spaces at the grocery store and costco, imo. Way too big for my allotted garage space.

Maybe they'll make a cyber mini someday. Then I might be in the market. If it has a bigger battety, and can still tow my power boat, and the Ollie. We don't buy anything that can't tow 5000 pounds, at least.

Also, need plenty of space in the back seat, for grandkids. 😄

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

A few of the reasons we think owning an EV is not for us:

We have no interest in an EV. The idea of someday being mandated by the government that we may have to comply and are forced to buy an EV is just not what we believe is American Freedom. 🇺🇸🇺🇸 

• Direct impact on the environment and health of workers mining lithium and other minerals. The draw on natural resources to mine lithium. The coal fired plants that power EVs is very real.
  • Range anxiety due to the lack of charging infrastructure nationwide with no end in sight.
  • Tremendous cost of installing this infrastructure on an ancient and completely vulnerable to attack power grid. (huge national security concern)
  • Cost of installation of home charging ports for EVs.
  • EV fires. Many fire departments are not equipped to deal with these fires and the hazardous fumes and what’s left over. Environmental impact.
  • The cost of most EVs is completely out of reach for many American households. 
  • It’s been reported that insurance is much higher on EV’s mainly due to the extremely high cost of repairs if it can be repaired after an accident.
  • Lack of qualified technicians at a body shop. 
  • Loss of mechanic jobs at existing dealerships. 
  • The huge cost of a replacement battery at some point in vehicle ownership. 
  • The accelerated depreciation of a used EV. Who wants yesterday’s EV tech? 
  • How Old Man Winter and extreme cold reduces the battery capacity. Many Canadians are already really unhappy with this and do not want EVs.
  • EV’s are extremely heavy due to the battery weight and our roads pay the price. A road tax is being proposed in many states for EV owners since they don’t pay a fuel tax.
  • Surely, at some point the government will automatically digitally tax EV owners on the miles driven and implement speed controls with electronic speed limiter in the name of safety. Some companies already implement digital control their on tractor trailers.

Patriot🇺🇸

IMG_1398.thumb.jpeg.5f136414bb29ef0f22bd894111b4c604.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

I power my ev on sunlight. We rarely take it out of the county, but plenty of chargers for road trips, when we do.

Not suitable for a tow vehicle,  imo. Though others have the patience to do so. I don't. 

I think regulations have run ahead of the curve. Only tesla has really invested the big bucks in cross country charging stations, with quick charging capabilities. I can charge just about anywhere,  depending on how long I want to sit idle. 

We're never going back to muscle cars, belching diesels, or low mpg/high emissions gassers,,so eventually,  we'll have to figure it out.

EVs, today, are best for local commuting, short runs, local deliveries . Which, honestly,  is a high per centage of total miles driven for most .

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4