Solar charger not working. Hull #178, Blue Sky system.

• 5 weeks later...
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thread has been a learning experience!  My solar controller issue has been resolved after a fair amount of time and effort.  The end result was controller replacement and modifying the four spade connectors with a 90 degree bend to resolve clearance issues inside the box which put stress on the controller causing the failure.

My thanks to those who offered info. and help and especially to Ryan at Blue Sky and Jason at OTT for helping to coordinate the efforts.

George

• Thanks 4

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hull #135, with the same issue as #178, is operational.  Ryan at Blue Sky was good to work with.  Oliver uses pretty heavy duty wires (good thing) going into the controller.  Because of the way the controller mounts in the box these thick wires are required to bend 180 degrees in about an inch putting excess pressure on the circuit board.  Ryan asked me to mail him my controller, they repaired and tested it and sent it right back.  Like George, I made a 90 degree bend in each of the four spade connectors which relieved the pressure.  All is well.  I've learned a great deal about this controller from both the manual and the videos on the Blue Sky web site.  Some explanatory pictures:

wastcvf9793tqabqkz8o61qvwjsuf6a2.thumb.jpg.b6f882c937937a6d48571cb989edf1f4.jpg

Above is my controller before I disconnected it.  I have removed the 4 screws holding it in the box and flipped it over.  The four wires (2 red, 2 black) are straight in this picture, but to reinstall it the wires are bent 180 degrees as the controller is flipped over into the box.  This is under the driver side bed.

qgpcmseluka6yu4mwjxujf9rb9t3prk6.jpg.00556bd4027b9a435b1d20584c2c518b.jpg

The above picture is one that Ryan sent showing the 90 degree bend that relieves the pressure.

x12rutbvmbke0cod3887bye5u37nqige.jpg.cf7c40a7620bb3af839e537e104cf212.jpg

The above is another picture Ryan sent me showing the connections with the bent spades.  Once this was done there was no pressure on the circuit board when putting it back into the box.

Thanks to Ryan at Blue Sky and all the folks that posted on this thread.  Let the learning continue!  Mike

• Thanks 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS