Need recommendation for a lithium battery jump starter....

John E Davies

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

If I  were going to look at a jump box above the $150 mark, I'd probably look at this new offering from Viking. Combination jump and compressor. 

That looks cool but it has a sealed lead acid battery and weighs 30 pounds, the little LiFePO4 version is TEN times lighter.

71233946-860F-497C-B9E2-746198D5E747.thumb.jpeg.25444c6356cc40c7b395faf4d28760f1.jpeg

What do you need 250 psi for? Whenever I see a super high number like that I wonder how many cubic feet per minute does it produce and what is the duty cycle? If it takes 20 minutes to inflate your truck tire, it isn’t much good. This is not a compressor thread, maybe we should start one. My SmittyBilt 2781 Air Compressor puts out almost 6 cfm with a 40 minute duty cycle. It blows hard enough to be able to use it to clear dust from surfaces, or to winterize your water system, in a pinch…. It will inflate a 33 inch truck tire from 20 to 42 psi in about 3 minutes.

Apples and oranges, I know. But I am not seeing any value at all in that extremely heavy jump box/ compressor unit. The battery will be toast in a couple of years, as you know LA batteries do not like deep discharges. I hope it is a standard size. You cannot buy repair parts for most of these HF power tools, if the compressor or the motor fails you probably will not be able to replace it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Thanks, jed for doing the research I didn't do. 

I assumed viking would be lithium.  That's just sad. And heavy. Came up in my feed. ...

We're happy with the little lifepo4 box. We'll stick with that, for now 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.