Lubricating the Power Jacks?

Can anyone give my clear instructions on how to lubricate the power jacks on a 2017 Elite II? I have gone online and found these "Owner's Instructions" (They seem to be instructions for one with a different color--white--but otherwise seem to refer to the same jack.):

https://www.barkermfg.com/uploads/5/4/9/4/54943161/hiperf3000.pdf

The instructions about lubrication state this:

Once a year, the powerhead should be removed and a

liberal amount of grease (preferably a grease with high

melting point) applied directly to the coupling on which

the drive pin rests.

However, it is not clear to me from the diagrams provided in these instructions where that drive pin is or the coupling on which it rests.

The instructions also state this:

Once a year, the housing cover should be removed and

the gears inspected for proper lubrication.

Remove 4 screws and tap around edge of housing to

free cover.

DO NOT insert screw driver blade! (This may damage

mating surfaces.)

Before replacing cover, clean mating surfaces.

If lubrication is needed, use Mobilith 460 grease or

equivalent.

I have not attempted to remove the cover yet, hoping to get clearer instructions before I take the thing apart. I am also not clear if the Mobilith 460 grease is the same as the "grease with high melting point" mentioned in the first paragraph about applying grease "directly to the coupling on which the drive pin rests."

In addition, I wonder about how to lubricate the rear power jacks.

What might help me the most are photos or a video of someone accessing the areas of the jacks that need to be lubricated. Clear instructions and advice on the type(s) of grease needed to apply to those areas, at least, should help.

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderators

Spike -

I can't give you what I think you seek, but I can tell you that the jacks in the rear are the same as the jack in the front. And, yes, those instructions are the same for the "old" white jack and the "new" black jack.

Also, you are to be commended for taking the bull by the horns and tackling these maintenance chores. Generally they are not difficult, but, for those that have not been down that road before and/or are somewhat mechanically challenged these jobs can seem much more difficult than they really are. Obviously, the best way to get knowledge is to ask the questions (like you are), and, then get out there and "just do it".

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks, Bill, for your encouragement. Yes, I hope to be able to complete as many of the maintenance tasks as possible myself, and I AM a bit mechanically challenged. I'm sure someone on the forum has greased their jacks before and could give me clearer instructions than I get from the manufacturer. I would also think that others on the forum could benefit from those instructions. I DID find a video online of a guy demonstrating how to grease a hand-cranked trailer jack, but it did not seem very applicable to the Ollie power jacks.

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

• Moderators

Spike -

You're welcome!

Our "search" function is not the best (as has been reported here many times), but, it is amazing what one can find by simply going to the general topic heading (like Mechanical and Technical tips) and then just scroll down the topic headings until something catches your eye. I thought that I remembered a post on this subject but unless you happen to remember something close to the post's name, finding it can be a bit of a needle in the haystack kind of thing.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If the grease is discolored or nasty from contamination or water entry, don’t just add more without fuguring out why it looks that way. You can do all three simultaneously so you can compare the color in each.

Replace a bad gasket or screw as needed. Having spares on hand would be a good idea, unless you are OK with waiting to complete the job.

If the grease is in bad condition it should all be cleaned out, the loose parts inspected carefully for wear, then reassembled with fresh lube.

I have not serviced mine yet, but the front one has started to get louder. I think I will clean them all out and substitute a superior grease like this one, which is way better (and more expensive) than the jack grease. .... https://smile.amazon.com/Red-Line-80401-Grease-Ounce/dp/B0053O9FQS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528808329&sr=8-2&keywords=Cv-2+grease

While designed for CV axle joints it works great in other stressed areas, including firearms. I use this in the trailer wheel bearings, it is wonderful stuff. It is very slick and does not stiffen up at really low temperatures. The big negative is the cost.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Spike –

You’re welcome!

Our “search” function is not the best (as has been reported here many times), but, it is amazing what one can find by simply going to the general topic heading (like Mechanical and Technical tips) and then just scroll down the topic headings until something catches your eye. I thought that I remembered a post on this subject but unless you happen to remember something close to the post’s name, finding it can be a bit of a needle in the haystack kind of thing.

Bill

Bill, we really need an FAQ section, with links to the really helpful threads, especially for stuff like routine maintenance. “Search” is close to useless in this forum.

You might have noticed I title any new thread that explains a mod or repair “HOW TO: _____” it is an attempt to group the posts in the Search results. A better search engine would be very welcome, this one is simply lame.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

an FAQ section, with links to the really helpful threads, especially for stuff like routine maintenance.

Indeed, that would be helpful. I DID spend time attempting to find information about this topic using the search function. I was surprised not to not find more on the power jacks since the company advises that maintenance be completed annually--and since other tasks on the forum are so well explained, often accompanied by helpful photos.

Anyway, I appreciate the help I have received and will tackle the task soon. Our Ollie is a huge investment for us retired educators, and it would be unwise to neglect good maintenance practices.

Onward through the Fog!