Dexter axle and wheel/tire Questions

hobo

Got HOBO (#414) last earlier this week and per forum discussion pulled the wheels and took them to have them balanced.  First thing I noticed is that all four wheels had wheel weights on the inside of the rims right from Oliver.  Problem is they still weren't balanced.  What's with the factory wheel weights if not for balance?

Next issue I noted is that at least two of the wheels seem to have a noticeable amount of play in the bearings and this is checking both before and after taking them off and putting them back on.  Is this normal for a Dexter axle?  I will see the Dexter rep next week at the rally but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

After pulling our trailer for maybe a couple thousand miles I found a little play in the bearings so I tightened the nut holding the hub on per Dexter’s instructions. See bottom of page 56 in the Dexter Axle Manual in the Oliver University.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/oliver-university/Component_Manuals/Dexter_Axle/DEXTER-AXLE-MANUAL.pdf

• Thanks 3

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

The wheel weights are unusual, I don’t recall anyone reporting that the factory does this. Their being out of balance anyway is disturbing. You should alert the factory about this.

The bearing nuts are supposed to have a very slight amount of play when cold, they are NOT torqued down hard. Tighten them down firmly, then back off until they are free and go to the nearest cotter pin slot. When the wheels are operating and the bearings are warm most of the play should go away. With a brand new set of bearings they might seat a little during travel and get a little too loose. They should be readjusted if needed. Unfortunately with an Ollie the little domed dust cap is covered by the chrome axle cover, so you have to pull the wheel off.  I am thinking about eliminating the chrome parts so I could adjust the nut quickly. I have never kept these pretty covers on other trailers, I want to be able to service the nuts without a hassle, and inspect them so I know the caps are secure and not leaking..

If I ever get around to installing disc brakes I will buy stainless hubs, so they will look SUPER cool without plastic covers and they won’t rust......

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.