New Ford 7.3 liter gas power numbers revealed

John E Davies

The max torque is less than we had hoped for but the torque curve is very diesel like (flat) and 400 ft lbs is available at just 1800 rpm.... ?

My 5.7 liter Toyota engine makes exactly that much at 2800 rpm, but the curve is peaky so you have to rev the snot out of the engine on steep climbs. Below 2500 rpm, forget about it...

5EEDCF05-CA97-46CC-B2F0-9804D18F1F36.thumb.png.f71ef9e962c146ceadeeb16a8f100ab4.png

The transmission is a new HD ten speed with ginormous parts for durability, the engine itself is more compact and lighter than the smaller V8, has big forged steel crankshaft instead of cast iron, and is designed to be super easy and affordable to work on.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/09/leaked-2020-ford-super-duty-order-guide-reveals-a-crazy-high-and-class-leading-towing-weight-rating-news/

I am not a Ford fanboy but I might consider a F250 Tremor with this drivetrain..... it will be interesting to see how the Fast Lane Guys do with it going up the Ike Gauntlet.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The max torque is less than we had hoped for but the torque curve is very diesel like (flat) and 400 ft lbs is available at just 1800 rpm….

What I have read is that 400 ft lbs of torque is available starting at only 1500 rpm. Looks to be a great engine for those not wanting/needing a diesel. Hope the mileage is respectable. It's floating to the top of my new TV want list....

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

The fuel economy should be worse than the diesel, but probably not too bad. I think for the travel trailer crowd, the main benefit of this engine is that you'll get a respectable tower without having to pay the upfront cost for the diesel, which really made payback on those impossible for all but full timers. Of course, Ford already has that engine, or arguably a better one, in the 3.5 ecoboost, but Ford has had a hard enough time marketing a small displacement engine to half ton buyers. Plus my guess is that the fuel economy won't be that much different when towing, maybe even better for the V8 in some conditions. And it should be crazy reliable, since it was really developed for medium duty trucks.

How is the long term reliability of the 3.5 EB? The 2.7 EB has a major recall for engine failures (cylinder heads and/ or long block) due to lubrication issues. I know that many direct injection engines have issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves. Has this been resolved? I really like the idea of a small boosted engine but I would not be feeling very good outside the factory or even an extended warranty period....

Will they be still OK at 200,000 miles? Can you replace a turbo without major heartache on these engines?

I have owned four turbo gas vehicles over the years and I think I am done with that concept. Premium fuel, premium lubricants, premium fuel treatments, premium heartaches...  Nope, no more.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.