APRIL 09' JUG FISHING CAMPOUT INVITATION

mountainborn

• Moderators

Though not a tale of epic porportions, it was none the less, exciting. As it became light enough to consider going out to pick up the jugs, we were out by the fire ring talking about the weather. I had just watched the live radar image of the aproaching rain storm. It was moving fast, but there was almost no violent activity indicated. In retrospect, I wonder, now, just why didn't I check the lightning strike data ? The plan was to dash out ahead of the front that was coming in and gather the jugs up. We knew that if we got caught in the rain we could put up our rain screen in front of the bimini top. So, off we went. Meanderthal, Tumbleweed, Butcherknife & Mountainborn.

Naturally it didn't even come close to going as planned. We had cast twenty nine jugs in an area between some Islands that I thought might hold them from scattering so bad in the front that was forcast to pass through.

Wrong again !

We cruized down to the cast area in the lee of the mainland and picked up all of the jugs that were in sight. We had a large salamander, a goggle eye ( panfish ) and a channel catfish on the jugs that were there. We carefully released the Salamander and goggle eye, keeping the channel cat.

That's when the first peal of thunder came loud and clear. You could feel the deep rumble through the boat, right up through our feet.

Betty and Chuck were up on the bow of Harm's weigh when a jagged bolt of lightning flashed across the Lake. They both turned around and looked at Tom and I with wide eyes.

It was time to make a run for the campground.

Well, we didn't pull that off either !

The storm was moving so fast that we couldn't out run it down the lake. As the large stinging rain drops began to burn our faces, we stopped to put up the rain shield on the front edge of the Bimini top.

Well, by now you have guessed it !

That didn't work either.

The clear vinyl shield had drawn up during the two years it had been stored in the seat locker and the snaps just wouldn't match up. But, we could get a few to snap and were able to cruise back to camp in the rain at about twenty Miles Per Hour.

So, the bottom line for the morning's fisaco was;

One fish in the live well, fifteen jugs still out and being blown who knows where in the weather, and four jug fishermen huddling behind a sheet of plastic, creeping back to camp like whupped dawgz, with our tails tucked tightly down under our bellies.

After tying up and making sure that the live well pump was running, it was into the Ollie for breakfast and to check email.

Nature is so cool and interacting with it and the wildlife at such a close and personal manner is the greatest !

Thanks to Betty, Tom and Chuck for sharing the adventure with me ! 8-)

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

During a lull in the rain, our good Casita friends, Thomas & Katy, who have to be at work on Monday, hooked up and eased out towards home in a renewed rain storm.

Thanks ever so much you guys for the great dutch oven cooking, great picking and singing, the song composition was exemplary, and all the fine visits around the campfire.

If our schedule permits, we will see you guys at the RVER III.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Mark Long and Family brought their new Ski Nautique, wake board rigged with tower, board racks and all, up yesterday. It was good to see them coming thumping down the inlet towards camp for a visit !

• Moderators

Al & Fran went home yesterday evening to get ready for Easter but much of the County seat had been destroyed by a tornado and they worked in a food kitchen at their Church feeding hundreds that had no way to prepare meals. They will be back when their shift is over.

Which reminds me, I better call him on his cell phone and tell him that we have had to leave one of his jugs out because of the weather.

• Moderators

After we got back to camp the rain continued so we decided to go into Glenwood Arkansas for a meal at EL DIAMANTE Mexican Restaurant. They quickly pushed tables togather for us. The food was excelent.

Here is a quick look at the crowd of rowdies at EL DIAMANTE:

th_100_0162.jpg

Now for a nap, then we'll pick up the rest of the jugs from this morning when the lightning and rain ran us off of the Lake.

• Moderators

Happy Easter to all of you. You can really see the rain coming down through the restaurant window in your video. Glad you all made it off the lake without a major mishap. Running for shore in rain and lightning is never fun.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Katy and I would like to say a big thank you for inviting us down and for all the great hospitality. We enjoyed hanging out with old and new friends and only wish we could have stayed longer and enjoyed the fish fry with all of you.

We made it home safely with almost no problems. The three hour drive took almost five hours due to the rain. We pulled off to let the rain ease up a few times before continuing. The rain ended by the time we made it home only to find the creek washed out so we had to go the long way home but we did make it home and I have finally got my nap in.

Thanks again for a great time and we look forward to seeing you all down the road.

Thomas and Katy

Hoooray! We finally got to sample some of Lake Greeson's fine catfish! Betty is an amazing cook, but the guys in the boat deserve thanks too, for braving the thunder and lightening to bring the catfish to the table! Thanks to all of you! It was a great meal! Sorry Thomas and Katy missed it! It was great seeing you two again!

Larry, Alan, & Steve catfish 050

Betty cookin' catfish.jpg

Chuck catfish thumbs up

• Moderators

This morning, just before lunch, The ScubaRx's headed for home. Steve's heart surgery is scheduled for mid week and Tali has to work.

We miss them already.

• Moderators

I just located the words that Thomas had written for the song. He never did tell me the name of the song that he wrote about me, but the chorus is:

He's a retired man

No more working Man Blues

So, it may well be that the song's name is RETIRED MAN.

Here are the four verses to the song:

He's up in the mornin'

Tho' his work days are done

He fires up his boat

a fishin' he has gone

Chorus

Now he's cruisin' across the lake

leavin' life's worries in his wake

You better watch out

don't get in HARM'S WEIGH

Chorus

Now he's pulling into the dock

Betty cuts up what he caught

HOLEY COW, MAN !

Is that a BUTCHERKNIFE in her hand !

Chorus

The campfire is a blazin'

a' sizzlin' an' a poppin'

Betty wheres my phone

I'm too busy nappin'

Chorus

Thanks to Thomas for his kind words and wonderful song !

• Moderators

WooHoo ! Da' Cajun Birdman is in da' house ! Aubrey arrived about two and a half hours after Scuba rx pulled out. He seemed to know where to go, he pulled into the same site that Steve & Tali had just vacated.

The sun is mostly out and it is 70*, at beautiful Lake greeson, ya' Mon' we be a' havin' fun !

• Moderators

Slow baitcast again today. Short cast out on the flats just before dark. Great visiting around the campfire again tonight !

Tumbleweed and CajunBirdMan casting the jugs & Bait, Meanderthal supervising and mountainborn operating the Sonar and at the controls of the boat.

• Moderators

Though we had a short cast last evening at sunset, this morning we had a fair catch. Two twelve pounders and a fourteen pound catfish. 8-)

We woke up to a beautiful day today! Sunny, warm and I got to ride in the boat! Meanderthal, Karen and Tom left today for Texas! Al and Fran left too. They live in Mena Arkansas and as you know, Mena was devastated last week by tornados. They went back on Easter Sunday to help those in need and survey the damage. They came back, but yesterday they decided they were needed at home and they left a few days early. So Larry, David and Rachel (our new Casita couple that joined us from NC), Chuck and I climbed into the boat to go and retrieve Al's bait trap from across the lake. It was a great boat ride. Enjoy the photos.

• Moderators

As you see in the above photo of Tumbleweed emptying the bait trap into a bucket, we were getting to go cast the jugs for the evening.

The next morning, this morning, we had two nice fish on the jug lines, a twenty four and a twelve. The bait catch and the fishing are both a bit slow yet. But we still have had three fish frys so far and are talking about another today or tomorrow.

He, he, maybe it ain't goin' too bad so far wut' with every body getting to eat all of the fish they want several times a week ! ;)

On a more serious note, Chuck & Gehri had to take one of their Dogs to the vet this morning. They aren't back yet, so we don't know the outcome of that.

Here is a short video of the camp scene and the fish in the live well:

th_100_0164.jpg

• Moderators

In response to the video, yes, we do wish we were at the lake. Looks like a great time for everybody...

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Alan & Chris Young of the ORCC, Off Road Camping Club, arrived just before dark yesterday evening.

100_0165.jpg

They have the coolest Tent Trax camping trailer. Here is a look:

100_0168-1.jpg

>

100_0167.jpg

>

It is pulled by a Jeep Wrangler 2 door. Note the matching tires and wheels:

100_0166.jpg

We'll see if Alan will give us a guided video tour to post here for a good look at how compact and well organized everything is.

• Moderators

The Tumbleweeds left out for the Indian Nations this morning, on their way to their work kamper site. We enjoyed your company and look forward to our next Nomadic Convergence ! 8-)

• Moderators

Jeff & Glenda arrived last evening just in time for the fish fry in honor of Scubarx ( surgery & recovery going well ).

Jeff & Glenda have a Casita that is new enough that it is still on warranty.

• Moderators

David & Rachel F, are getting ready to depart this morning, they will be heading out to the South West, adventuring their way around, headed for Bandera and the bluebonnet rally. Their Casita is a well kept 1999 that they bought new. Their mods are cool things that make life so much easier.

• Moderators

The cast last night was a bit short, 22 jugs, short bait catch again. We had a fair catch this morning. Four on line and lost two in the jug recovery. We will be cleaning a ten pound blue and a four pound opelousas.