Leaf Spring Clips

djpinaz

I've noticed a few of the leaf spring (rebound?) clips on our axle are missing. Should I reach out to Dexter for replacements? Are there some "universal" replacements available? How critical is it to replace those which are missing?

Darren

2014 Oliver Elite II, Hull #62

The clips serve a purpose and missing ones should be replaced. I wouldn't count on Dexter being responsive because Oliver does not order the Dexter axles with springs. Your best bet would be to find another parts source. If it were me, given the age, I'd entirely replace all the springs. There are better quality ones readily available at reasonable prices.

I have wondered about these. Are we talking about the wraparound clip like in this pic?

2F806AD9-515F-47D8-AE04-74E8A9F843AC.jpeg.12c8139bc5a016c327af73f3e91785fe.jpeg

I have never been able to find out its purpose. If it is designed to capture a broken leaf, why isn’t there another one on the opposite side? I understand a “military wrap”, where the second spring is much longer and wraps around the eye, in case the upper one breaks.

A4AF6219-C696-495B-8E78-018866DFCB3C.jpeg.9b4ac2daaa726cd8a18d716c738f1fa9.jpeg

Does the clip have a similar function? If not, what is its purpose?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Yes, that is what I'm referring to. In talking to someone today I was told they prevent the springs from "walking" and therefore getting out of alignment with each other. Without, if they do get out of alignment you run the risk of breaking a [portion of a] spring.

• Thanks 1

2014 Oliver Elite II, Hull #62

3 hours ago, djpinaz said:

Yes, that is what I'm referring to. In talking to someone today I was told they prevent the springs from "walking" and therefore getting out of alignment with each other. Without, if they do get out of alignment you run the risk of breaking a [portion of a] spring.

I guess if the ubolts were loose that might happen.....  but if those four nuts are properly torqued there is no way the leaves could ever do that. If I saw a clip missing, it would not bother me a bit, and I certainly would not replace them, or the entire springs.

BTW when I first checked my ubolts, they were a little loose, they are worth checking, just like the shackle nuts and the brake backing plate nuts. You never know what you will find.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.