Very odd MaxxAir vent installation in an Aliner

John E Davies

I ran across a nice little Aliner “expedition”  trailer (AT tires, lift and a nifty 40mm ammo box for his grenades) for sale on Craigslist , and I immediately spotted this unusual mod on the roof......

0374DE32-2972-4E11-9258-B0B30BBFB688.jpeg.50dc2d4677aafef21219e19c0e193f1c.jpeg

Here is what comes from the factory....

3C44ED71-01EB-409C-8D05-76788EF87EAA.jpeg.e77da9e852c655bd27e41337cf8fc2bb.jpeg

The second vent faces forward, and that little factory fairing is there to keep the vent from catching air while towing, which would be very bad.... That makes sense, and when camping the vent opening will face downwards. .... https://www.popupportal.com/threads/roof-vent-lid-keeps-opening-how-to-secure.131136/

The upper pic has me entirely baffled. Is it intended to act as a rain scoop? I can’t image any way the rain cover baffles would seal in the closed position, when angled up at 45 degrees.... but the MaxxAir is a lot longer than the little square one, so it won’t clear the fairing or the solar panel in the reverse position. If this was an owner mod, I guess we can forgive him, but if a dealer installed  it........ holy cow. Should I email the seller to tell him? I am serious.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

20 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

I ran across a nice little Aliner “expedition”  trailer (AT tires, lift and a nifty 40mm ammo box for his grenades) for sale on Craigslist , and I immediately spotted this unusual mod on the roof......

0374DE32-2972-4E11-9258-B0B30BBFB688.jpeg.50dc2d4677aafef21219e19c0e193f1c.jpeg

Here is what comes from the factory....

3C44ED71-01EB-409C-8D05-76788EF87EAA.jpeg.e77da9e852c655bd27e41337cf8fc2bb.jpeg

The second vent faces forward, and that little factory fairing is there to keep the vent from catching air while towing, which would be very bad.... That makes sense, and when camping the vent opening will face downwards. .... https://www.popupportal.com/threads/roof-vent-lid-keeps-opening-how-to-secure.131136/

The upper pic has me entirely baffled. Is it intended to act as a rain scoop? I can’t image any way the rain cover baffles would seal in the closed position, when angled up at 45 degrees....

If this was an owner mod, I guess we can forgive him, but if a dealer did it........ holy cow. Should I email the seller to tell him? I am serious.

John Davies

Spokane WA

My SIL has an A-Liner.  I'm going to check out the vent!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

We purchased an Aliner Expedition with dormers a little over five years ago and have used it extensively since racking up about 40K miles.  Love the layout and ease of use but have been very dismayed about the lack of quality.  Poor construction methods and materials throughout have necessitated a great deal of maintenance and in some instances, complete rebuild of core components.  For instance the front dormer was attached to the light stress-panel roof with pop rivets fastening the hinges to the light outer skin of the roof panel.  The dormer tore completely free requiring me to re-engineer and rebuild the entire attachment system.  I have a great deal of experience in working with glass so was able to bring it back far better than new but this sort of thing really should not happen with a company that poses as best of breed.