Bed rails on the twin floor plan

johnwen

On the twin floor plan, has anyone removed the bed rails and trimmed off a couple inches to make it a little easier to use the beds for seating areas?  At 30 inches it's a little far from the wall to the edge of the bed.  28 inches would be fine for us as a bed width dimension and 4 inches wider in the isle way would be welcome.  Fitting around the lamp stand cabinet would have a 2 inch gap on each side to be filled in somehow, I suppose.  I asked Jason about it at the factory and he said the area where the rivets fasten the rail down is thinner and if I cut off the back side it would then be too thick to lay level with the rest of the molding.  Thanks for any help,

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

Our solution was to add another layer of back cushions to make the seats less deep. Intuitively that might sound like a hassle but in practice it no big deal and actually adds some additional flexibility to the space.  An additional 4” cushion is just about right, and can be repositioned for however you want to use the seat. 

2B33803A-7FC6-46CA-9676-A3BF00B23491.thumb.jpeg.46a6713c619e79f127029bcd1374e2d5.jpeg

Thank you Overland.  That's our intended course of action as a backup.  Your setup is pretty sweet! I like the table and additional shelf beside the stove top.  We are total newbies, we just placed an order last Friday and won't pick up until mid January....which is a bit of a bummer.  But we've been through it before with our 2018 Casita, but that wait was only 7 months 🙂

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

Thanks. I do think that you could eliminate the rails all together and still sleep fine, provided you’re used to a sleeping bag’s width. We typically leave the back cushions in place when sleeping, which leaves about the same width, maybe a hair wider. But the cushions add some nice insulation against the hull, which I think is worthwhile even with the double shell.

If you’re interested in those two modifications, you can read about them here - 

• Moderators

When I ordered my Ollie I had always intended for the street side to be a couch - not a bed.  When I saw that this bed extension had been installed I called Anita and said that I wanted it removed prior to delivery.  Anita said that I should give that decision some thought in that with the extra seating cushions that I have ordered plus a few throw pillows this area could still be a nice couch, plus, by removing the back cushions and the throw pillows it would still be a nice bed.  After some further thought and discussion I told Anita that I'd give it a try.  Sure am glad that I listened to her - even though my wife is small, the extra room is welcomed by her and the occasional fishing buddy that tags along.  In addition, the extra room makes lounging there a bit more comfortable too.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

No problem and you're welcome.

For what its worth, over the winter I purchased one of THESE for the couch.  I got mine at the local WalMart for under $16.00.  I'm thinking that I can eliminate a throw pillow or two and get a touch more comfortable for reading and/or lounging.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"