Honda SUV and Elite I

Jjbhm

I see that many here use trucks to tow Ollies (I & II) and many posts here have also dealt with SUVs pulling Elite I. In considering a possible upgrade in tow vehicle and picking up an Elite I later this year, I'm wondering if a Honda Pilot 4WD with tow package (Touring edition; that is rated at 5000 lbs) would be a good vehicle? I am planning on traveling West so the mountain passes are my biggest worry. 

Welcome to the forums. You need more reserve capacity, say 6500 pounds or more. A fully loaded LE1 will max out the Pilot, and that doesn’t include any of your payload inside the trucklet. The LE1 is a heavy little tank, it needs a good sized SUV (preferably IMHO a body on frame one like a Tahoe) or a half ton pickup truck to pull it well and safely under strenuous conditions.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

5000 pounds towing  is sufficient.  We took our le1 home with a 2004 Volvo xc90, similar tow rating. We felt it in the hills. Otherwise, ok. We never towed in the mountains with the xc90, expecting it to be a poorer choice than my 5.3, 2005 Silverado. 

My concern would be the tongue weight rating. If that's still 350 with the all wheel drive, you're going to have to be careful about weight up front, even in the relative flats.  Our tongue weight, no basket, loaded for camping, is 320, at the scale. That's  a pretty close margin.  

Just things to think about. I don't know where you live, but I  would say, I  don't think I'd like to take your vehicle through the western mountains.  Eastern US,  probably  ok, but annoying on high hills, even if you watch loading, because of the tongue weight limitation.

I would say, the Pilot is probably ok, but marginal.  Enough to get home, explore locally, and find the TV you want.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

SeaDawg, the way I understood jjbhm’s post, he was asking about upgrading TO a Pilot, but if he already owns one, then yes, it would be OK to get the Ollie home, but not a “good” choice for long term . Maybe he can clarify....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Having had personal experience with Honda Ridgeline and Pilot, I can say that they are TOUGH overbuilt vehicles, with fantastic AWD systems.  I personally do not feel that they have the power needed to cross mountainous regions of the US with anything more than 3-4k lbs of additional weight, combined trailer + payload.  The V6 is low on low-end torque, and the Pilot has a low payload rating when put into towing duties.  Same with the Ridgeline, but between the two, the Ridgeline is the better tow vehicle. We upgraded to an Audi Q7 which is one option for you, also Dodge Durango, and Tahoe.  I think those are some of the best options close to the Pilot after very recently being in the same position as you.

• Like 2