Plumbing upgrades with SharkBite fittings

On 10/25/2023 at 6:26 PM, SeaDawg said:

My husband actually designed and built the manifold.

Not a lot of plumbers in rural Central Idaho use Uponor/Wirsbo Pex-A either.  I also designed and built the manifolds, and did all of the plumbing in our home.  After 4 years, no leaks in the Pex.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
On 10/25/2023 at 7:10 AM, topgun2 said:

I view Sharkbite fittings as an emergency plumbing part.

I keep a couple of 3 foot lengths of Pex and a small assortment of Sharkbite fittings in my Ollie - just in case.

I also carry some spare Pex A tubing & a few Sharkbite fittings.   Last trip we lost water pressure after a long day of highway driving.  A look outside revealed water draining out one of the scupper holes.  A look under the curb side bunk showed a broken plastic elbow on the bottom connection of the Suburban water heater.  I did not have the correct Sharkbite fitting on hand (I needed a 1/2” el),  but found a Home Depot 10 miles away open until 9 pm.  The repair was made quickly, and camping continued.   When I got back home I re-plumbed both the bottom and top water heater fittings with simple 1/2” brass els, as the plastic elbows are not the best, and they restrict the water flow when compared to similar 1/2” brass.  I used Sharkbite copper crimp rings and a compression tool I already own.  I’m familiar with the benefits of Pex A tubing & fittings used in residential plumbing.   Since OTT used Pex B and copper crimp rings throughout my trailer, I did the same.  It’s easy to do, and it’s the most common DIY method.   These  Pex B parts are readily available at most good hardware stores.  Some time ago, I removed the restrictive plastic T-fitting used for the  flush toilet water supply under the bath sink.  I removed that supply line as well as the valve behind the toilet.   Since I have a Natures Head toilet, the water supply line and valve is not needed, and is another item to winterize.  I also removed the black tank flush linens and vacuum break fitting.   The result of replacing  the restrictive plastic water supply fittings is a noticeable improvement in water flow, especially in the shower.

IMG_2578.jpeg

IMG_2576.jpeg

IMG_2580.jpeg

IMG_1554.jpeg

IMG_0617.jpeg

IMG_0616.jpeg

• Like 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Hokieman said:

A look outside revealed water draining out one of the scupper holes.  A look under the curb side bunk showed a broken plastic elbow on the bottom connection of the Suburban water heater.

I had the same issue with the T fitting coming out of the hot water tank.  The plastic cracked just enough to cause a steady drip.  We discovered it on the way home after a long trip so I fixed it after we got home.  Replaced the plastic with brass.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS