Plumbing upgrades with SharkBite fittings

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share a plumbing episode that I experienced in Albuquerque, NM last year (6/2020) after getting it serviced in TN.  After two (2) days of driving, I hooked up my WPS (water/power/sewer) connections at a KOA and had a major plumbing issue, or so I thought...     

After shutting the water off and inspecting under my curbside bed, I found the culprit.  

It seems that, the offending hot water line to this tee fitting was cut about a half-inch too short when installed at the factory.  

Mind you, this happened after a few thousand miles on the road and after a few bad miles on I-40 in Oklahoma before this manifested.

After understanding just exactly why this happened, I contacted our good friends in the service department and Jason was able to offer some very helpful assistance.  

Luckily, there was a Home Depot just a few miles down the road and I was able to purchase a longer length of the same hot water line installed on the Ollie and Jason recommended the "SharkBite" brass fittings as a permanent replacement for the plastic ones installed at the factory.  

This was a quick and easy fix and I have had no problems or worries since.  

The SharkBite fittings are the best and I decided I didn't ever want an episode like this to happen again, so I later replaced every elbow and tee fitting in my Ollie with the SharkBite brass fittings.  

The Team at Oliver was great and reimbursed me for all materials for the tee that caused this problem.  I came out-of-pocket and did the rest on my own.

I highly recommend these fittings and wish they would have used these in the first place.  Below are photos of my experience...

Nicky Ray

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3782.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

• Thanks 4

Las Vegas, NV | 2020 LE II #612 | 2020 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost Max Tow

spacer.png

I understand why (money) plastic fittings are used but it couldn’t coast more than an extra $30 to do it correctly and use brass fittings.  At this price I would expect the best materials to be used during manufacturing.

John

• Like 1

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II  (09/21 delivery). Hull #887

2 hours ago, Jps190 said:

I understand why (money) plastic fittings are used but it couldn’t coast more than an extra $30 to do it correctly and use brass fittings.  At this price I would expect the best materials to be used during manufacturing.

John

Hi John, that was my thought when this happened.  I agree, I expected better too but it’s all good now.  

These fittings got teeth, like a shark and it won’t be happening again, that’s for sure! 👍

spacer.png

• Moderators

We've owned two different Oliver's over the past 12 years. Collectively, we have traveled over 150K miles. I have had one fitting to break and it did cause a mess. I agree that brass fittings are better than plastic and they should be using them. I always carry several feet of tubing, a few different brass pex fittings, and the tools to replace them in case that ever happens again.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Glad the issue was resolved quickly.  What you’ve done looks great.  Like Steve, ours have held up well for about 60K miles but now I’m inspired to do some plumbing work!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Extra hose and fittings is a great idea and doesn’t take up much space or weight, that’s a great idea ScubaRx!

Thanks Mike and Carol! 👍

spacer.png

Thanks for the post.

After reading some threads about leaks emerging  at fittings after some travel time on some trailers, I bought some tubing and a mix of fittings and a few tools (crimper for crimp style fittings and a cutter made for cutting the  tubing) and  have that strapped and taped down under the curbside bed. It indeed takes little space and is not heavy and it was fairly inexpensive even going with decent quality tools and fittings.

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709