Portable Wind Turbine

Liana

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Was your original question because you need more power, or just to take advantage of the "free"  wind at night? I suspect your new portable set may be able to give you everything you need. I hope so.

I really wanted a way to be able to continue to compensate for draw on the batteries - eg, furnace - during the night.  I think when we get switched over to Lithium, we really won't *need* to do that, it just seemed like it should be possible and would be convenient.

• Like 2

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Liana said:

I really wanted a way to be able to continue to compensate for draw on the batteries - eg, furnace - during the night.  I think when we get switched over to Lithium, we really won't *need* to do that, it just seemed like it should be possible and would be convenient.

You'll probably be ok. 

Before we installed the dc danfoss fridge, (60 to 70 ah a day drain), we never worried about power, much, with just two agm 105 ah batteries, in conjunction with 200 watts of solar, and a bit of portable. . (And a Honda 1000, for emergency. )

I'd honestly wait for the need, before I invested a lot of money in alternative sources.

Lifepo4 will certainly give you more latitude,  when and if you make that decision. We're still struggling with that decision,  and probably won't make it til our existing agms die. We are looking ahead, and discussing. But, our needs are simple. We (hopefully) have a year or two to make that decision. 

Best of luck to you in your decisions. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

In the seven years I've owned #117 I've never been below 87% FULL with my four flooded lead acid Trojan batteries and stock factory solar.

Having said that I should note that I very rarely camp with hookups, travel alone almost 90% of the time and am very frugal with any electrical usage.  I even use "Luci" lights at night versus using house batteries.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"