If you were to replace your Ollie with a small pocket cruiser boat, what would it be?

John E Davies

S

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

That's a good thing. And, engine much more easily repaired/replaced. (Not cheap, of course, but certainly easier.)

The thing about boats vs camper is not the view, it's the usable living space. All our trailers live really big, on the outside, at campsite. 

The inside of a comparable sized boat can become quite claustrophobic,  for me, at anchor, even in nice weather. At least, I've not found a floating platform for chairs, grill, etc, to be practical to tow behind. 😀 dock fees are ridiculous around me, in sw Florida. 

Yes I agree. And if it wasn’t for the insurability of only submarine experience, then I would immediately be looking in the mid 40 ft range just probably not new. If you look at a lot of people that own the Rosborough, they are often people that are actually downsizing, so it is interesting.  Now I am not trying to sell boats to anyone, just responding to that thread.  

I also understand the cost of marina fees in south Florida. Personally, I would rather be up in the panhandle or Alabama, but Chattanooga, Nashville, Charleston, have their draws for that sort of boat.  You can even get to the intracostal leaving Oklahoma if you want on the water…😀

I have been looking at the Oliver for awhile on line, I just have never joined the forum.  I am due a trip to middle Tennessee any way, so I probably should just fly up there and check it out.

• Like 4

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
On 2/19/2022 at 12:40 PM, ChrisMI said:

The Nordic Tug series has always been a favorite of mine. Also like the Corsair Tri for a sporty sailboat. 

I like that

NT-34_profile.png

• Like 4

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

Not a powerboater by preferance but have spent a lot of time on them including a couple trips from WA to AK.  If I were to buy another boat at my current age of it would be a powerboat because they are generally easier to handle if not as challenging or fun.  While standing wet and cold at the wheel on the stern of my sailboat can be charming, especially in really cold, nasty weather, at '71 I admit there is something to be said for sitting warm and dry at the helm of a trawler type boat.

My own cruising powerboat preference would be a displacement type hull along the lines of a Nordic Tug.  I'll keep this discussion down to vessels of around 40' or less (about all an older couple cruising alone can phsically and financially handle.

I am not a fan of those designs, such as some of the Rangers, which attempt to turn a displacement hull into a planing hull.  A couple of problems there.  First, they are incredible fuel hogs.  Fuel up the tank of a boat that burns 20+ gallons an hour in a remote village on the way to Alaska and you are in for a serious sticker shock.  Secondly, they are screamingly loud, which is fatiguing aboard the boat and irritating to others in the neighborhood.  They also throw up a huge wake.   It has been my experience that there is an inverse relationship between seamanship and available horsepower.   A slower, more stable pace allows for far more accurate navigation, situational awareness and overall safety.  Your chances of piling into a deadhead at 20 knots is far greater than at 6, especially in foul weather or high sea state.  The damage done at high speed is far greater than a lower speed.  A collision with a rock or other boat at 5 - 6 knots will normally mean an expensive hull repair.  The same collision at 15 - 20 would entail no repair as your boat is going down ... fast.

Next to a pet peeve.  Powerboaters driving heavy hulls at speeds which raise huge wakes.  Folks of this type (I hesitate to call them sailors) are flat dangerous aside from being irritating.  Case in point, a fine gentleman and friend who for many years kept his sailboat in a slip next to mine had a powerboat pass close beside him at the entrance of our marina on Admiralty Inlet in WA.  The huge wake caught him off balance and he was thrown against the binnacle of his sailboat injuring his ribs.  A few days later he was dead from a punctured lung.  

Enough lecturing.  After a lifetime of messing about in boats I would offer the following advice.  If you are on a budget, buy a used, well equipped and lovingly maintained boat.  The cost of the boat itself is only a starting point.  I just bought two new sails for my relatively small (35') but circumnavigation capable sailboat.  The main, genny and new roller furling setup ran over 20K.  Best to let a previous owner foot that bill.  Integrity of the hull and overall quality of the build are far more important than glitz and nautical bling.

• Like 4

Well, let's see...  I suppose ours would be this 48-foot Leopard Cat made in South Africa (including the stow-away).  Twin 250 Yanmars, AC, air compressor (fills scuba tanks), fully integrated cockpit, power winches, 4 staterooms, 2 full heads, massive galley...  Custom davit with 14-foot RHIB for tooling around to the beach.  Bare-boated this baby out of Tortola, BVI in '18 for a week - absolutely fine a sailing getaway.

IMG_2034.thumb.jpeg.e9ce2c133fe2612192f333284a6b6a82.jpeg

IMG_2036.thumb.jpeg.76935f210f6d8017165246f6f22ea8fd.jpeg

IMG_2030.thumb.jpeg.03cc6a42e7b266f8c1c973adbe7ce109.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX