Bow Buddy 90

Has anyone installed one of these? We pick up our Elite 1 in July and I'm about to order one to test it out. On the Bow Buddy 90, the vertical support is straight up, as apposed tilted forward 20 degrees like the standard Bow Buddy's.  Our Elite will not have the storage basket, so we will have plenty of room to mount.  From my measurements we should have PLENTY of room to access the propane tanks/front jack. Measurements are 96" wide and 35" high. 

Just to confirm, the tongue beam measures 3x5?

Also, all of the Bow Buddy's hardware is stainless, so if not provided, I plan to add spacers to prevent Stainless/Aluminum contact. Hopefully preventing any  corrosion.

bow-buddy-43.jpg

• Like 2

I like the protection it gives, I dislike the design. It will block access to your jack and propane bottles, and your getting underneath to add blocks. and also make it will hard to get stuff out of your truck cargo area. The Aussies use these a lot, but they tend to be mounted quite far back and angled down, to deflect stones onto the road instead of sideways into oncoming traffic or back into your TV tailgate and glass. Like this one:

A10D9B12-4E71-4B96-946C-E648F9479B97.thumb.jpeg.188c10070ad256e56533edd11358c592.jpeg

I don’t know how the Rock Buddy mounts, does it just clamp at the front of the tongue? Do you have a dimensional drawing or instructions? I researched all sorts of gravel guards and ended up with a Stone Stomper, it has been superb in keeping the tongue and front of the trailer chip free and clean, and also the back of the TV. In heavy rain at 60 mph the back glass stays dry! After five seasons there are only a handful of tiny gelcoat chips, from stuff thrown up by oncoming traffic.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2504-how-to-stone-stomper-gravel-guard/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Yes, I've looked at your stone stomper post, and that is ideal.  I'm just looking for a simpler bolt-on solution.  

These Bow Buddys are made in Canada, and not yet very popular in the US. 

Four Bolts clamp to the trailer. This is the only real demonstration I found online:

They do offer a version angled forward like your photo, but the advantage of the vertical mount is that the post will not interfere with your TV's tailgate/hatch door. This is more pronounced on the Oliver due to the shorter tongue as apposed to boat trailers. 

Once you move away from the center point the screen is curved enough that debris should deflect to the left or right (into oncoming lanes of traffic) and not back  at the TV.

• Like 3

Excuse my not to scale illustration, but from my measurements/estimates it should leave plenty of space to access the propane/jacks. Assuming about 18"-24" sweep back and the 96" width...

I'm guessing more than 24 Inches between the Bow Buddy wing tip and the hull; allowing plenty to walk behind to access the propane/jacks.

2022-05-01_21-19-01.jpg

• Like 3

That looks as if might work OK, except I dislike the “debris should deflect to the left or right (into oncoming lanes of traffic)” part, that is not at all good. On low speed gravel forest roads it isn’t a big deal, but on a freshly chip sealed highway it definitely is. Have you researched boat forums for user comments?

What is the price, and can you buy replacement parts for when you prang up an arm? Does it flop around in gusty wind?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

11 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That looks as if might work OK, except I dislike the “debris should deflect to the left or right (into oncoming lanes of traffic)” part, that is not at all good. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

I agree. I spoke with the company directly on Friday and the material on the vertical mount is "loose" to avoid debris bounce.  And the wings will have flex as they are only attached in the center, which should absorb impacts from anything larger than a pebble.  But well see.  I might take the plunge and test it out. If it doesn't work/fit as planned ill try to sell it to a someone with a boat.     

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 5/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, Sparklite said:

Excuse my not to scale illustration, but from my measurements/estimates it should leave plenty of space to access the propane/jacks.

Interesting for sure.  From your sketch, it looks as if having a OTT tongue storage box could provide some installation challenges though.

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I just placed an order for the "Original Bow Buddy" that is like the 90 posted in my original post, but the vertical support is angled at 70 degrees toward the TV. (see photo attached).

This should help push debris down toward the road. (and not back at the TV or oncoming traffic) 

The price was $760 (plus shipping), which makes it almost double the mud flap style rock guards. 

BUT because it stays mounted on the trailer, it was a huge plus that multiple tow vehicles can use it and takes a step out of trailer set up before a trip and storage after.  

Also justifying the extra cost is the better protection I'm expecting than traditional mud flaps. 

We take deliver of our LE in July, so it will be a few months before it can be tested.

I will keep everyone updated on how it works out!

bow-buddy1.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Interesting for sure.  From your sketch, it looks as if having a OTT tongue storage box could provide some installation challenges though.

Correct. We ordered without the storage box.  I don't believe it would work with the storage box installed.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1