How do you get local weather while Boondocking and no Am or Fm reception.

MarkC

• Moderators

A very sad, and sobering, reminder to pay attention to weather conditions,  and have a plan. Especially camping in tornado season.

I remember the first time camping that my husband and I heard tornado sirens in the Midwest. He didn't know what they meant. I said, "grab the dog, keys,  your wallet, and we're off to the bath house," a few hundred feet away. I'd scoped it out, earlier, as it was early tornado season. 

We were fine, but buildings and billboards flattened not far away.  We had the "joy" of spending a good while with several dozen strangers and their pets  in the small block structure. (I chose a shower stalls, extra stability)

I sure wish these folks in the Indiana state park  had heard, or heeded, the warnings. As a survivor of several direct tornafo hits, I'm extremely saddened by this loss. My condolences to their family. 

Please, be careful, and aware.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/2023/04/02/indiana-storms-rossville-couple-dead-at-mccormicks-creek-state-park/70072924007/

• Care 1
  • Sad 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Several friends and acquaintances here in Indiana have been effected by the tornadoes of the last week. We've heard the sirens go off numerous times already this spring. Prior to Friday's event no serious injuries. 

A friend of my wife was camping at McCormick's Creek State Park when this happened last weekend. The park rangers were driving through blaring their horns to warn campers to take shelter. Stacie's friend and here family survived by sheltering in the bath house, but lost their camper. The couple that died were in the same campground but apparently chose to ride it out in their camper. It's heartbreaking to hear this kind of news. We used to live near the town of Rossville where they were from. We didn't know the Kincaids, but in that farm community, everybody was considered your neighbor. Prayers for comfort and strength for the surviving family and friends. 

We have several forms of weather radio we will have along on trips. It's available over Sirius/XM in our truck, and we also have handheld GMRS radios with weather band. Plus if cellular service is available we have several weather apps on the phones to follow. We've survived two occasions while camping when tornadoes came within a mile of our locations. If you hear a warning, head for shelter. 

• Thanks 1
  • Care 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map