Update on #1290 gas leak

John Welte

Hi y'all.  Some of you know that I picked up #1290 on 11/7 and have now arrived back in Oregon where I discovered a gas leak from the flange nut on the Truma furnace.  After weighing all the possibilities for a remedy, even considering just tightening the nut, I wrote Rodney Lomax who then talked to Jason Essary who contacted me and said he was now taking control of the gas leak ticket.  Initially I was told by the service department it wasn't a warranty issue and I thought that was odd.  That's why at the suggestion of a couple forum members, I wrote to see if they would pay for this repair.  Jason assured me that they take gas leaks seriously and yes, OTT would make sure that a technician would fix the leak and test the propane system thoroughly.  I made an appointment in Oregon which is two months out, but that's OK since we aren't going anywhere.

Key points.  1, make sure you test everything out.  Stay nearby, ideally at the OTT campground.  2,  if something isn't quite right, let them know so it's fixed before leaving Hohenwald.  3, this company makes a good product and does everything they can to be transparent and will work with you to fix a problem.  At this point I am still happy that I chose Oliver over some other brand.

John

• Like 11

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderator+
16 hours ago, John Welte said:

Key points.  1, make sure you test everything out.  Stay nearby, ideally at the OTT campground.  2,  if something isn't quite right, let them know so it's fixed before leaving Hohenwald.  3, this company makes a good product and does everything they can to be transparent and will work with you to fix a problem.  At this point I am still happy that I chose Oliver over some other brand.

John

I'll bet this has been stated thousands of times through the years. Yet still, there are folks that pick up and leave the same day. When they have a problem down the road a bit they want to get on here and complain. This is GREAT advice and and should be heeded by all. There's really no good excuse not to stick around a few days and check everything out, just build the extra time into your pickup experience. I promise you won't regret it.

John, it's really good to hear you've been taken care of by Oliver and I believe you will never be disappointed "...that I chose Oliver over some other brand."

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

35 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I'll bet this has been stated thousands of times through the years. Yet still, there are folks that pick up and leave the same day. When they have a problem down the road a bit they want to get on here and complain. This is GREAT advice and and should be heeded by all. There's really no good excuse not to stick around a few days and check everything out, just build the extra time into your pickup experience. I promise you won't regret it.

John, it's really good to hear you've been taken care of by Oliver and I believe you will never be disappointed "...that I chose Oliver over some other brand."

We picked up on Monday and left the area on Friday.  I should have returned before leaving as I suspected that I smelled gas, but I thought maybe it's was just new furnace smells.  My error actually in not returning.  Lesson learned.

• Like 8

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
5 hours ago, John Welte said:

We picked up on Monday and left the area on Friday.  I should have returned before leaving as I suspected that I smelled gas, but I thought maybe it's was just new furnace smells.  My error actually in not returning.  Lesson learned.

I know you followed protocol.  And, stayed a good long time.

If the gas leak was strong, it would have set off the propane alarm.  Some things show up later, after trailering for awhile .  Unfortunately,  that's you.

Oliver will take care of you. I know that to be true  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.