"CQ, CQ, CQ..." Any HAM Radio Operators out there in Ollie-World?

MAX Burner

On 4/26/2023 at 8:32 PM, Brian and Brandelyne said:

This is my Mosley S-33 and 18' Diamond Dual Band antenna up on my Universal, All-Aluminum tower.  It also has my Acurite weather station.

73 de AF1US

Brian

image.thumb.jpeg.53c88da0ab85164b5ad202c21ae2f744.jpeg

Hey Brian, nice use of your vertical real estate. I was a production supervisor for a few years at Rohn Towers in Frankfort Indiana. We manufactured thousands of masts similar and of course much larger as well. Seems like a fun hobby and community to be a part of . 

• Like 4

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • 9 months later...

Greetings all --

I'm going to reignite this thread, after a brief exchange elsewhere about amateur radio. I hope that additional hams will join this thread.

I'm still working to assemble the equipment I need to take my shack on the road, but getting close. I use a Yaesu FT991A, and plan to make home brew antennas. I also have an HT that I purchased used; I'm still learning to use it. No antenna on the TV. Most of my time this winter has been dedicated to study and practice with my local ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service); we have an excellent group here and I consider myself very fortunate to have so many experienced operators sharing their wisdom. Once I get on the road again, I hope to find local nets as I move around, and will try to connect with other Oliver hams when I can find you. 

I'd love to hear from more hams with information about their favorite equipment for travel (whether mounted in the Oliver or not). Photos are helpful! 

I'm really sorry that I missed the presentation at last year's Oliver rally. 

KN4NBV 

Edited by Boudicca908
added info
  • Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

• 2 weeks later...

Today my ARES team met up at a local park to test ourselves with some basic activities. I'm pleased as punch that my *new* home-brew (home-made) 9:1 UNUN Antenna  -- AKA "a wire hung in the trees", as one of the team members called it -- performed beautifully. Within minutes I was speaking with operators in Hungary, Lithuania, Russia and Ireland (they were busy contesting on 10 meters).  (I will add a couple of photos, once the photo upload issue is resolved.) I love this hobby! 

EDIT:  With help from my friend and mentor, this project was built, tried and tested in a single afternoon. Two days later I had it strung up in a local park and I was talking to hams around the world.  I highly recommend amateur radio to anyone who is interested in fun science projects.  73

9 turns around powdered iron toroid.jpeg

9 turns around a powdered iron toroid core for this End Fed 6 - 40 Meter Multi-band HF Antenna

modifying the plastic box.jpeg

Modifying the box (my mentor has tools) 

testing.jpeg

Testing the unit before closing up the box

some assembly required.jpeg

Some assembly was required  :) 

antenna hung from tree to tripod.jpeg

In the park -- the antenna wire has pink flags on it to increase visibility 

coax at 90 degrees from tripod to radio.jpeg

The coax is run to the radio (at 90 degrees to the antenna wire)

Edited by Boudicca908
added photos and info
  • Love 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC