Removing interior odors/smells

We recently purchased a 2017 Oliver that, from our understanding, had been in storage for the past 3-4 years and had not been used.   The trailer has a very noticeable smell we have been working to remove.  It seems to be stronger with the AC running.   We have cleaned all interior surfaces, removed all porous materials (fabrics), and my husband has cleaned both the black and grey tanks and added Auqamax dry holding tank treatment to both tanks.  Of note, when we first cleaned the black tank, it had some gross surprises that may have been fermenting for years 🤢

Any ideas on what I can clean next?   Could the smells be coming from between the two fiberglass shells?   When I was cleaning the interior, I did not notice any areas that looked like there was water intrusion. 

Harlan & Margie

2017 Oliver Elite II Hull#235, 2006 F250 Tow Vehicle

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, Going Coastal said:

Could the smells be coming from between the two fiberglass shells?  

Depending on the levels of humidity during storage and the possible lack of air movement it is possible that there could be some minor mold issues between the shells.  However, there is nothing between the shells that could harbor or be very conducive to mold growth.

If it were mine - I'd inspect the areas between the shell that you can see.  If there is any sign of mold then I would wipe those areas with diluted bleach or vinegar and air it out by blowing air into any of the hatches.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• Moderators

When we had a gray water leak that left water on the lower hull, we had a slight odor in the trailer.  I opened the hatches and placed a fan under the bath side dinette seat and blew air all day, first toward the back of the trailer then toward the front.  It dried everything out well and the odor went away too.  Stick your head in the seat opening and see if that is what you are smelling.  Also, put some water in your black tank with your toilet additive to see if your surprises will loosen up over time.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

You may want to inspect the coils on the A/C.  Not likely they are the source of your smells, as your trailer appears to have had only a few actual years use.  But worth a check to make sure that critters didn't make a home in it.  Likewise for the furnace, hot water heater and bathroom vent fan.

GJ

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg