Repairing & replacing plastic plumbing connections

After nearly 3 years and over 10K miles with our LEII, I had my first plumbing connection failure and leak.  One of the plastic connectors on top of the hot water heater cracked.  Luckily I had been carrying some spare plumbing parts and was able to temporarily repair the broken connector with a copper one.

I'm home now and I am replacing ALL of the plastic plumbing connections with copper connectors and stainless cinch rings.  I'm finding that my handheld cinch ring tool opens too wide to get at most of the plumbing connections down near the floor.  I can use stainless hose clamps in those tight areas (doubled up if necessary) but would prefer to use the cinch rings.  I know others have had to replace the plastic fittings and I'm hoping for some advice on how others have tackled the problem in the tight spaces.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

That plastic connection at the top of the hot water heater (Truma) seems to be a common failure point due to vibration when towing.  After seeing other owners experience that failure I pro-actively replaced my Truma fittings with brass connections and braided flexible supply lines (to absorb any vibration).   Sharkbite “push to connect” fittings used to make the transition to the original plumbing. 

IMG_0896.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 8

• Moderator+
4 hours ago, NCeagle said:

After nearly 3 years and over 10K miles with our LEII, I had my first plumbing connection failure and leak.  One of the plastic connectors on top of the hot water heater cracked.  Luckily I had been carrying some spare plumbing parts and was able to temporarily repair the broken connector with a copper one.

I'm home now and I am replacing ALL of the plastic plumbing connections with copper connectors and stainless cinch rings.  I'm finding that my handheld cinch ring tool opens too wide to get at most of the plumbing connections down near the floor.  I can use stainless hose clamps in those tight areas (doubled up if necessary) but would prefer to use the cinch rings.  I know others have had to replace the plastic fittings and I'm hoping for some advice on how others have tackled the problem in the tight spaces.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Not having those tools, I don't routinely use the cinch rings. I do have the tools for the copper crimp rings and that's my go-to. There are some cinch tools that will pinch from the front or the side which might be easier in tight spots.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Me too in Yukon today after washboard roads.

IMG_1537.thumb.jpeg.e16c884bc0384c2fcd1acdb44bb908d4.jpeg

IMG_1536.thumb.jpeg.4d43f48362b1f21849dd30fc36a48c88.jpeg

Thanks to everyone who posts fail /fix articles.  Because of the sharing I had the right parts and the  fix was only 30 mins. 

IMG_6731.jpeg

• Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg