Houghton Air Conditioner change out

Nan

The existing AC was changed out with a Houghton AC and now the heater will not come on. I am planning on using the existing wall controller for the heat and the hand held Houghton new controller for the AC...what am I missing? I have not made the switch yet, but someone I know has and this is their problem..Thanks.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

@Nan, we have an older trailer with a furnace only thermostat,  so did not affect us.

If you read through the replacement posts by newer owners in @katanapilot's thread, you'll see that the dometic thermostat you newer owners have requires a relay box (either a replacement part, or salvaged from the Dometic install), to operate the furnace from your thermostat. 

It might be simpler to ditch the dometic thermostat (since it won't operate your houghton, anyway), and replace it with a simpler single purpose thermostat for the furnace. 

Who is doing your install?

it's all quite thoroughly discussed here:

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thank you very much Sherry. I am going to use someone in Gunterville, Ala. I was hoping to do it at the last rally, but my ankle got in the way and I have not been able to camp at all. They are holding the Houghton for me. The problem I was asking about was from someone that owns an Oliver and just changed the ac out to a Houghton. They are not able to get the furnace to work so I told them I would put it on the forum for them...I bought a Heat only thermostat that I will replace the existing one with when I am able to get the ac changed out. Thanks again!

• Like 2

• Moderators

That was nice of you, Nan. Your friend can read the thread if you forward it to them, even if not a forum member. Hope it helps.

Take care of that ankle. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 7:35 AM, Nan said:

Thank you very much Sherry. I am going to use someone in Gunterville, Ala. I was hoping to do it at the last rally, but my ankle got in the way and I have not been able to camp at all. They are holding the Houghton for me. The problem I was asking about was from someone that owns an Oliver and just changed the ac out to a Houghton. They are not able to get the furnace to work so I told them I would put it on the forum for them...I bought a Heat only thermostat that I will replace the existing one with when I am able to get the ac changed out. Thanks again!

Hi Nan, if you do not mind please let me know how it goes with the AC swap.  We are in Birmingham and will need to do something about the AC noise sooner or later.   -Brent