Yet another option for your Starlink Cable

I mounted the short roof mount Starlink mount which has the same hole pattern as the Girard Awning. Plan is to also have a location to place my Harbor Freight flag pole (Starlink mount) adjacent to the trailer tongue (mount still to be fabricated). I fished the cable from the attic to the basement following the AC drain hose as noted in another's previous post, then using the paddle bit provided by Starlink in their house mounting kit, I drilled through the rear of the outside hull while still within the confines of the spare tire cover. I used marine caulk/adhesive (5200) to glue the included Starlink plug (that the cable runs through) to the hole drilled in the hull. Next I determined that I would need a max of about 50 feet of cable -- if I were to run out the rear, to the front of the trailer then up a 25' pole --  and coiled up the excess, zip tying (the excess) to the spare tire, the remaining 50 feet was then coiled and zip tied separately and marked at about the 8' mark which is the length needed to go from the exit hole in the tire cover to the dishey now on top of the rear-most awning attachments. Next was cutting a 4 inch hole in the spare tire cover and mounting a marine deck port cover, again using the 5200 adhesive. The next day after the adhesive had hardened sufficiently I drilled a hole at about 5 o'clock on the base of the port and then cut to the hole forming a "U" shaped hole to allow the cable to exit and still be able to replace the port cover. The cover-base has a small diameter o-ring that contacts the cover which of course was cut when I made the "U" shaped hole, I put a drop or two of super glue in the o-ring's channel and pressed the cut ends of the o-ring in place so it doesn't fall out and still provides adequate protection for water intrusion as well as helping assure a tight fit when the cover is screwed in place for travel. 

The 8' of cable just gets pushed up inside the tire cover for travel, however if I need to use the flag-pole for the dishey then I'll have to remove the cover,  cut the zip ties and uncoil the 50' length, then recoil and zip tie it when done. Initially I tried just pushing the entire 50 feet of cable up through the new port hole in the tire cover which worked moderately well...but only one time. When I pulled it out and hooked it up the Starlink no longer worked. Upon closer investigation I discovered that I had kinked the cable enough to cause it to stop working. $85 and a couple of weeks later after the new cable was delivered I hooked it up and it worked fine, so then, after pulling the new (non-kinked) cable from the attic to the basement and all the enjoyment associated with removing the marine adhesive holding in the cable plug, I was again up and running. 

My plan in the off-season is to drop off the spare tire cover to my favorite fiberglass boat repair shop and have them add a mount inside the tire cover that will allow me to coil the unused cable on to the inside of the cover instead of being zip tied to the tire. It will basically be in the same location but attached to the cover making it easier to access the spare tire by not having to cut and later re-coil and mount the cable to the spare.

StarlinkMod04of12.jpg.107917b037e07b514cf080f78b2c95be.jpgStarlinkMod03of12.jpg.439b419e3694dea2f1b7fc96b153d93f.jpg

StarlinkMod05of12.PNG.502e4636581726ae70a8a9e9ea03e6b6.PNG

StarlinkMod02of12.jpg.9f525264f245a4cb1d8e717df828bf99.jpg

StarlinkMod10of12.jpg.12c06fde35273b2cbe02f1f9cdbb3232.jpg

StarlinkMod12of12.jpg.7b46c6c13a7385984a0b15ee7639c5b5.jpg

StarlinkMod07of12.PNG.840c82b8740fdeceb279a07c0e5df824.PNG

StarlinkMod08of12.jpg.7c4fb11c357e55ac1d227ee815afe61c.jpg

StarlinkMod09of12.jpg.a87cb9604bfe0099d3a3a7ec98be23be.jpg

StarlinkMod11of12d.jpg.24d5f849e0cf0d38738bcaf6752830b0.jpg

IMG_1233.jpeg.818c2d4127147f6712b3f018b70c1d4a.jpeg

Starlink Mod 06 of 12.PNG

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
5 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

I mounted the short roof mount Starlink mount which has the same hole pattern as the Girard Awning.

Very nice, Is this mount aftermarket or does it come with the starlink? 
StarlinkMod03of12.jpg.439b419e3694dea2f1b7fc96b153d93f.jpg

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

1 hour ago, rich.dev said:

Very nice, Is this mount aftermarket or does it come with the starlink? 
StarlinkMod03of12.jpg.439b419e3694dea2f1b7fc96b153d93f.jpg

That’s a Starlink Short Wall Mount that you have to buy extra ($60) via the “SHOP” button on the Starlink app, As is the Cable Routing Kit ($32 — which I incorrectly called the House Mounting Kit) which includes two grommets (which I incorrectly called the Starlink Plug) and the correct size paddle bit as well as some other stuff. 

You can also buy a 150 foot cable ($130) through the “SHOP” button on the app instead of using the 75’ cable that comes with the Starlink. You will have plenty of room to coil up 150’ of cable inside the spare tire. When I get the fiberglass work done making a cable holder  on the inside of the tire cover my plan is for it to be large enough to accommodate the longer cable just in case I decide I want to use one in the future 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

• 1 month later...

Clean install. I tried several ways to set up my  dishy. I worry about it getting run over at a campground at ground level. (I saw this happen once. There’s just some things you can never unsee.) I used the Harbor Freight flag pole and it takes some time to set up. I love your permanent mount. Just pop on the dishy, plug in and get on to some other set up chore!  I just purchased the mount and will try to get hubby to install it. 🙃. If not, are you going to be at the Guntersville rally? I only need help with mount install at awning. I’m planning a different avenue for cords, etc. for now. I can show you in Guntersville. My one dish travels with me to several properties when we aren’t using the Ollie. Only one internet bill this way.  I love my Star-link. It just blows my mind every time I plug it in. ✌️

• Like 1

2022 ElliteII- Hull 1062 

Marla and Bob King

Ford F150 Platinum EcoBoost with Leer Topper

spacer.png