Marine hatch install in bathroom

There is another thread “Upgraded shower and bathroom access hatch” but I am starting this thread to address the access hatch only. The other thread primarily addresses the shower valve modifications and some questions about the marine hatch modification are going unanswered. 

Moderators, remove or add to this thread if you need to or direct me to another thread with more information about this modification.

@mossemi  @MAX Burner @NCeagle @Going and others that have made the modification:

1. has anyone installed the hatch opening to the right?

2. I see that Mike relocated his water pump switch and light to the upper left front on the vanity. What have others done?

3. Has anyone found a lighted switch to use for the water pump switch?

4. Did you bed the frame with butyl?

5. Can the door be easily removed from the frame?

6. Did anyone use something other than the 23.9x13.9 SEAFLO marine hatch?

7. Mike mentions using a hole saw in reverse to cut the radiused corners (@mossemiis this correct ?) What did you use to cut the straight lines?

Edited by Townesw
  • Like 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Townesw said:

There is another thread “Upgraded shower and bathroom access hatch” but I am starting this thread to address the access hatch only. The other thread primarily addresses the shower valve modifications and some questions about the marine hatch modification are going unanswered. 

Moderators remove or add to this thread if you need to. Or direct me to another thread with more information about this modification.

@mossemi  @MAX Burner @NCeagle @Going and others that have made the modification:

1. has anyone installed the hatch opening to the right? 

2. I see that Mike relocated his water pump switch and light to the upper left front on the vanity. What have others done?

3. Has anyone found a lighted switch to use for the water pump switch?  I used the  original separate LED.

4. Did you bed the frame with butyl?  Yes I did.

5. Can the door be easily removed from the frame?  According to my product description, the door can be removed, but I was afraid I would break it, so I never tried it.

6. Did anyone use something other than the 23.9x13.9 SEAFLO marine hatch?

7. Mike mentions using a hole saw in reverse to cut the radiused corners (@mossemiis this correct ?) What did you use to cut the straight lines?  I didn’t use a hole saw for the radiuses on the door.  I did use the hole saws in reverse for the shower and diverter controls.

Have you thought about Frank C's  vanity mod?

Mossey

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Posted (edited)

Thanks @mossemi I did see that thread but I’m on my second caddy from the factory and both appear to have been hand trimmed when manufactured. The edge that meets the front of the vanity is so wavy that I doubt that I could get a seal on the edge to seal well against the vanity. 

What did you use to enlarge the hole for the hatch?

Edited by Townesw
  • Thanks 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Townesw said:

What did you use to enlarge the hole for the hatch?

Sorry I didn’t answer that question the first time you asked it.  I used a multi tool to trim the top and bottom.  My original cutout was wide enough, but not tall enough.

Good luck on your project!

Mossey

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”