FORD SUPER DUTY TRAILER MOUNTED CAMERA

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderator+
2 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Has anyone installed this camera on their Oliver?  If so, did you route the wiring internally?

I installed the GM version on our Oliver that incorporates itself into the camera system that came on our 2022 Silverado 3500 HD. I did route all the wiring internally. 

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I did route all the wiring internally. 

So - 

That explains the electrodes on the side of your neck! 😂

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

4 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Has anyone installed this camera on their Oliver?  If so, did you route the wiring internally?

No, but I’m really interested. 

• Like 1

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

Ozzie and Ruby - 2 Havanese characters

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

’23 F-250 RapidRed KR 7.3 Godzilla

I was initially very interested in the ford wired backup camera, but was very hesitant bc I had to be hardwired to the trailer. Seemed like a lot of hassle for very little benefit.  I currently have an after market tpms and the Oliver factory installed backup trailer camera.  The monitor is a little small and it sure would be nice to have the backup camera on the trailer display on the truck head unit, but I am very happy with what I have. I find I only really use the backup camera for a few minutes when I back into a campsite or storage for our Oliver. The wired ford backup camera and tpms seems like a long run for a short slide!  Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

• Moderator+
3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

So - 

That explains the electrodes on the side of your neck! 😂

Actually, those neck nodes are for something else entirely. I’ll show you at the rally. 

• Wow 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, Rolind said:

I was initially very interested in the ford wired backup camera, but was very hesitant bc I had to be hardwired to the trailer. Seemed like a lot of hassle for very little benefit.  I currently have an after market tpms and the Oliver factory installed backup trailer camera.  The monitor is a little small and it sure would be nice to have the backup camera on the trailer display on the truck head unit, but I am very happy with what I have. I find I only really use the backup camera for a few minutes when I back into a campsite or storage for our Oliver. The wired ford backup camera and tpms seems like a long run for a short slide!  Just my humble opinion.

We may be talking about cameras that have two entirely different capabilities. I had a “backup camera” mounted on the rear of each of our Oliver’s. They simply provided a wide angle camera view of what was behind me. I ordered the camera I’m referring to here when I ordered the Silverado. Once installed and plugged into its port on the back of the truck, it is incorporated into the multi camera system built into the truck. Utilizing it and the other eight cameras will allow you to see up to fifteen different views of the truck and trailer. It’s much more than a simple backup camera. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I'm also interested in this.  I believe there is something similar for the F150.  And I'm wondering if a lower mounting location -- such as license plate level -- would still offer good multi-views on the dash display.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GSMBear said:

I believe there is something similar for the F150.  And I'm wondering if a lower mounting location -- such as license plate level -- would still offer good multi-views on the dash display.

Yes - there is one for the F-150.

While it is not the Ford system, I do have a camera mounted just above the license plate.  When mounting a camera in this location you should note that the tire cover is not perpendicular to the road - it is at a 6 degree angle (tilted in at the bottom.  I partially compensated for this by using a piece of Delran and imbedded the camera into it.  In turn, the camera sends its signal via WiFi to a tablet or phone in the cab of the truck.

Note that there are a couple of "issues" with this mounting location - 1.  because of the relatively low angle, you can not see much past the vehicle that is directly behind you while traveling down the road.  2. when it rains, the camera is subject to so much road spray that it becomes virtually useless.

However, on the positive side - this camera location is great for those tight campsites you need to back into.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
  • Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

8 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

We may be talking about cameras that have two entirely different capabilities. I had a “backup camera” mounted on the rear of each of our Oliver’s. They simply provided a wide angle camera view of what was behind me. I ordered the camera I’m referring to here when I ordered the Silverado. Once installed and plugged into its port on the back of the truck, it is incorporated into the multi camera system built into the truck. Utilizing it and the other eight cameras will allow you to see up to fifteen different views of the truck and trailer. It’s much more than a simple backup camera. 

Is there a “build thread” documenting your installation?  I’m curious about how you routed the wires internally.

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO