Victron MP2 with (2) Epoch 460ah batteries. DAY #1 Removal, rewiring, mounts, routing wires

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
3 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Why the multiple control/indicator screens?  Will the GX Touch not do everything you need, or was this just to fill previous holes in the walls?

Top right is battery indicator in red supplied by Epoch (quick visual). Under that is the Victron toggle for inverter and power assist control. Old Zamp controller area is for GX display. 2 green buttons inside pantry are remote battery shutoffs. 

• Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

1 hour ago, rideadeuce said:

Top right is battery indicator in red supplied by Epoch (quick visual). Under that is the Victron toggle for inverter and power assist control. Old Zamp controller area is for GX display. 2 green buttons inside pantry are remote battery shutoffs. 

Thanks.  I was referring to the BMV and Multi Control.  Are they not redundant with the GX?  Only asking because I am headed down the same path fairly soon.

• Like 2

No, they are not redundant both do specific functions that you cannot do with the GX. So in my opinion necessary to get full functionality with Victron system. The only thing that might get rid of smart shunt and BMV is if you use Epoch batteries because their BMS communicates with Victron via BMS Bus on Cerbo or the VE. Bus on the Ekrano. I can't confirm how well that works yet because I installed the Ekrano and I am waiting on a cable that converts CAN bus to VE. Bus. So Epoch batteries BMS is not talking to Victron yet.  Doesn't matter if you're using Cerbo GX it will work but Ekrano not sure yet. 

• Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

On 4/18/2024 at 7:38 AM, rideadeuce said:

So everything is working. A/C is running off the batteries as we speak.

Very intriguing, thanks for your post! For future reference, what did you do to resolve the A/C issue?

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

Shore/gen-> ATS->EMS-> Multiplus-> Breakers. When I removed the old inverter, I took down that part of the circuit and placed it back in the panel breaker (plugs/microwave) and then ran the shore power through the MP2 AC IN the AC OUT1 to the panel.

• Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

Important for Ekrano and EPOCH battery users:

If you use or plan to use the Ekrano display with the EPOCH batteries and Victron COMMS you must go in under Settings and go to Services and change the VE.CAN 1 to CAN BUS 500. Works like a charm now but literally no-one at EPOCH or any installer I talked to knew how to do this. Once done the batteries BMS talk to the Victron Components and take over charging parameters/needs. If you are using the Cerbo GX just plug into Can Bus port.

IMG_7378.thumb.jpg.3e1f13ee91840163f386578825564b71.jpgIMG_7377.thumb.jpg.09eb73d182159fab4132e43db5ebeea0.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

On 4/18/2024 at 5:27 PM, katanapilot said:

I was referring to the BMV and Multi Control.  Are they not redundant with the GX?

So after finally getting the Victron and Epoch batteries talking and getting use to all the settings via the VRM online I would agree that the BMV and Multi Control are redundant. But redundant in the way you have volume control through software and a physical volume knob. I would still install the Multi Control for the immediate physical control but not sure about the smart shunt or BMV because of the built in communication EPOCH utilizes. Hope this helps. 

Best, M

• Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

Beutiful Install, Im Jealous you have double the power with my Battleborns. I love the Victron in last two rigs I had , power assist makes all difference in world, I never blow a basic breaker on anywhere I plug into. The only issues I did notice is the victron when charging or running and getting hot vibrates and is noisy against the wall. I placed a piece of bubble foil behind the victron on my install for sound dampening and should have painted the surface with Lizard skin or some sound dampening material.

How noisy is your unit when running? 

Just curious Thanks Ty 

I have ordered the new victron 12v to 12volt charger to charge my Battleborn batteries as the efficiency is 95 percent or more on the unit. I am going to charge those

batteries with a Pecron all in one unit with two 300 packs attached. I like your install with bigger batteries and watch a lot of Will Prowse videos also. 

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ty J said:

have ordered the new victron 12v to 12volt charger to charge my Battleborn batteries as the efficiency is 95 percent or more on the unit. I am going to charge those

My next project as well. New 50amp version is nice. 

- Mike

Nashville, TN

12 hours ago, Ty J said:

How noisy is your unit when running

So far, no vibrations just some low humming but acceptable (muted by mattress). I did glue down a rubber mat on the basement floor before weighting the aluminum base and then setting HDPE board to wall with epoxy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN