Wet Bolt Size Help Requested

Just had my leaf springs replaced and my mechanic informed me I have a few wet bolts that are spinning because the splines have worn off.  I have searched the internet but would like confirmation from the forum of what wet bolt part # I need.   There are multiple part numbers online and some have completely different bolt measurements.  Would prefer to only have to order once and get the correct ones.

Also, my mechanic seemed to think that the forward and trailing suspension mounts might have different sized wet bolts than the ones for the equalizer.  Can anyone chime in on this and clarify?  If they are a different size wet bolt, would appreciate part #'s for these as well.  There are 4 of these allegedly smaller ones and 8 of the "regular" size....again, according to my mechanic.

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR / Central Maine

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

An option would be to open a ticket with Oliver service, they should know exactly what was installed on Hull 832 and then ship you what you need.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Not sure if this is the exact model EZflex system Oliver installed on your Ollie.

Installed a K71-653-00 EZ Flex system on our Ollie several years ago. Here's this kit and part descriptions/numbers in the following dexterpartsonline link. Complete kit prices are lower on Amazon. Individual Dexter parts can be purchased at most trailer supply stores. I damaged at least one bronze bushing during installation, extras are helpful. 🙂 If you order parts on-line, Etrailer has been good to deal with in the past.

http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/product/K71-653-00

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-K71-653-00-Complete-Suspension-Kit/dp/B01HOAGBHO

Edited by rideandfly
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina

The key issue is:

9 hours ago, connor77 said:

the splines have worn off.

With the splines worn off, 

7 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

they should know exactly what was installed on Hull 832 and then ship you what you need.

OTT will certainly know the parts.  But they do not have an "Official" solution to fix the spun splines problem.  Lots of forum discussion of this topic.

The root cause is likely some one tried to torque the bolts from the head end or it could have been done when manufactured.  BUT, if it had been done when made, you would have seen the EZ flex Center Bolt Failure (As in walking out of it's hole) in the first season of use....  like mine did.

The EZ flex bolt spline solution took me three years to figure out.  And it has worked fine. 

Below is my EZ flex solution I posted several years ago.  I'll find my DIY process summary and post it tomorrow.

GJ

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EZ-Flex Kit:                  Oliver uses the K71-653-00 Dexter EZ Flex kit.   (8,500 Capacity Version installed)

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO CHECK:  If OTT was not using EZ flex devices on the vintage of your trailer, there is a possibility that your "Center Bolt" does not have splines on the nut end.  Another possible is that if it did have splines, that they were damaged by tightening the bolt/nut from the bolt side.  This will spin out those splines.  The splines are absolutely essential for "Fixing" (As in prevention of rotation) of the bolt head.  IF this is the case, it is essential that you "FIX" your bolt head.  This is a life safety issue that has scared the XXX out of myself twice and two other owners that have been documented.  There are a few ways to fix the bolt.  Using one of these is one of those solutions.  Search the forum for other solutions if you like.  I did for the better part of three years, and did not find any alternatives that met my safety and effectiveness concerns. 

GJ                                      

Center Bolt Capture Washer Source:  Barnes 4WD  (828) 551-7616

image.png.71a4addcb1376317a1f0e853f86059e8.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

@connor77 we recently replaced our leaf springs with ALCAN's 5 leaf pack and had a couple of the wet bolts that were spinning (operator error on my part) so we ordered a couple wet bolt kit from e trailer and replaced them all. The kit is made by MORryde instead of Dexter but was an exact fit. The kit contained the 6 smaller bolts for the hangers welded to the trailer frame (leaving you 2 spares) and 8 larger bolts that already pressed into the shackles for both sides that fit into the ez flex equalizer. Below is the website link for the part we ordered, listed in it is the bolt sizes you were looking for. Hope this helps. 

Make sure to confirm these bolt sizes with your mechanic before ordering.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Leaf-Spring-Suspension/MORryde/MR46ZR.html

Features:

• Leaf spring mounting hardware upgrades your leaf spring suspension system
    • Thick shackle straps, wet bolts, and bronze bushings are long-lasting and minimize intensive trailer maintenance
  • Heavy-duty shackle straps replace your factory shackle straps
    • 1/2" Thick shackles are more durable and twice as thick as most stock shackles
  • Wet bolts with built-in grease fittings are long-lasting and ease maintenance
  • Bronze bushings are more durable and last longer than the plastic bushings found on most factory suspensions
    • Work with wet bolts to ensure a well-lubricated setup
  • Quick, simple installation
    • Shackle straps replace your trailer's factory straps
    • Included bolts, nuts, and bushings replace your existing suspension hardware
  • Includes:
    • 8 Shackle straps
    • 8 Wet bolts (for attaching the springs to your equalizers)
    • 6 Wet bolts (for suspending your equalizers and springs from the hangers)
    • 14 Bronze bushings (for spring eyes and equalizer bolt holes)
    • 14 Locknuts
  • Made in the USA

Specs:

• Application: tandem-axle trailers with double-eye leaf springs
  • Shackle strap length (from center of hole to center of hole): 2-1/4"
  • Bolt hole diameter: 9/16"
  • Wet bolt dimensions:
    • 9/16" Diameter x 3-3/8" usable length
    • 9/16" Diameter x 2-7/8" usable length
  • Bushing dimensions:
    • Outer diameter: 11/16"
    • Inner diameter: 9/16"
    • Length: 1-3/4"
  • 1-Year limited warranty
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2023 Legacy II hull # 1446 "The Scout" . Lithium Pro Solar Package, twin bed 

2020 Ram 3500 4x4 dually w/ 6.7 Cummins, 

Ham radio callsigns     N4BBQ and KO4KSU (Jill)

ALARFLGAILINIAKYMSMONCSCTNVAmed.jpg

15 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I'll find my DIY process summary and post it tomorrow.

Attached is a DIY - Dexter EZ-Flex Center Bolt Spline Repair document mentioned above:

DIY - Dexter EZ-Flex Center Bolt Spline Repair (20 APR 2024).docx

Edited by Geronimo John
typo
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg