Furnace Duct Modification for Improved Air Flow and Circulation

There must be a half dozen mods in this category, and I studied all I found in searching this forum. It's a shame the flexible ducting OTT uses, when upon original installation it would be so easy to plumb rigid ducting. Mine was torn everywhere in the area where you need to reach in and change the water valves.

I closed the rear duct at the furnace, using 5x6" sheet metal that I got inside of the furnace housing and used 3M 3350 tape to hold it airtight inside and out. I figured why not blow air at twice the CFM in the forward direction? I replaced the first 6 ft of ducting with semi-rigid dryer vent ducting and added a 4" steel junction to connect it. Placed foil insulation above it since it is now very close to the fiberglass under the bed. I kept it straight and tall as possible for better airflow vs. the downhill and tangled mess of the original installation. Wrapped the furnace hold-down with some old automotive heater hose to keep it cushioned and quiet.

I wish I could have reached all the way to the junction but would have to cut the floor of our kitchen cabinets to do so (if I ever have to replace the fridge, I will cut below and replace everything past the junction). I removed the underbed airduct completely, which is now a dummy vent, a return vent that I will place an air filter behind.

The airflow at the kitchen duct is now 2-3 times the old and at the bath it has certainly doubled. I also strung up the bath vanity ducting, so it has better straight airflow, not cramped by laying down at the bottom. While in there, I foam-wrapped the PEX which had been banging on the drainpipe very loudly when in use.

I will add an air filter to the return duct next (to catch dust and dog hair) and my last task will be to add the bathroom vent that @Rivernerd showed in another post (thank you!) This should really help when the bathroom door is closed as well as to vent/circle air around the basement and keep the water pipes above freezing in the rear basement. And of course, thank you @Snackchaser for your "Bathroom Heat - a more direct approach!" post that got me started in the right direction!

Furnace Duct1.jpg

Furnace Duct2.jpg

Furnace Duct3.jpg

Furnace Duct4.jpg

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Finished up the bathroom vanity. I had a supply of 1/4" u-clips but the fiberglass is quite thick at the opening and decided that would be too much work, the placement must be extremely accurate. 

I merely used thin panhead wood screws with no taper. Measured with a digital caliper to drill just the right size holes. Added a SS washer so the screw head would not drag on the plastic. Thoroughly cleaned off all the old caulk and sealant. This product has just the right size opening and adequate length: uxcell U Channel Edge Trim, 6.5ft Length Rubber Guard Seal Strip Edge Protector Fit for 1.5-2.5mm Edge, (13/64" W x 5/16" H) White - Amazon.com

To-dos left are the bathroom to under dinette vent and the return air filter housing. Waiting for parts...

Vanity Done.jpg

Would a household system have return air duct(s) without a filter? My next thought was to add one, to keep the camp/road dust and dog hair out of the basement furnace area. I purchased this part: 10" X 6 Steel Return Air Filter Grille for 1" Filter - Removable Face/Door - HVAC Duct Cover - Flat Stamped Face - White [Outer Dimensions: 12.5 X 7.75] - Amazon.com

This is an amazing addition for just $30 plus annual filter replacement. And think about the fact that with a filter in this location is would first impede airflow here, pulling more air from the basement AND it would result in less noise (dB) when sleeping! 

I was hoping, yes hoping, the idealist I am 🤣, for it to be a plug-n-play install! The OEM cover has a 10x6" opening, but not exactly go figure. OTT Service, if you are reading this, do your future owners a solid by either installing such filter as standard equipment, or at least cut a true 10x6" hole (measure twice, cut once).

Turns out it was actually 10" wide, but closer to 5 3/4" tall. Thank goodness for a high-end Dewalt cordless jigsaw, so smooth. Cut the opening to the proper size and cut the other imperfections. Measuring, taping and cutting was just another 20 minutes labor, NP! 

Return Air Duct1.jpg

Return Air Duct2.jpg

Return Air Duct3.jpg

Return Air Duct4 DONE.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

BTW, I added some white rubber tape, I had on hand, for a good seal on the return air duct, just to be anal (see first pic above).

So, today I'm working @Rivernerd's suggestion next in adding vents in the closet and around the basement area. I'm NOT adding one that was suggested at the base of the dinette, since I believe that one would keep the basement return airflow from circling around and back to the furnace.

I have not sealed the outlet covers yet. Wish I had circles of 3M tape but will likely go to da Depot for some kind of sealant in a tube, no hurry, suggestions?

I had purchased one 4" vent suggested on another thread (installed above the closet), and then bought 3 of these, installed without the center black insert: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HJC5T9?psc=1&ref=product_details

I'm thinking I'm done, unless I install an inverter charger in the streetside basement which may require more airflow! Almost done here, wadda ya think? 

Vent1.jpg

Vent2.jpg

Vent3.jpg

Vent4.jpg

Edited by jd1923
Added pics...
  • Like 1

There are numerous other "holes" in the basement for air infiltration, but the worst offender is the one right where the dog lays down. Thanks for the idea.

• Like 2

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

This is the most straightforward, simple mod you can do to improve the operation of the Oliver (Suburban or Atwood) furnace system. Please let me know if you have any questions. After 20+ nights camping in the SW winter, we had no idea the wet bath was heated, until I read it here! Absolutely NO heated airflow into the bath until now, Thanks for reading! 😂 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

This is the most straightforward, simple mod you can do to improve the operation of the Oliver (Suburban or Atwood) furnace system. Please let me know if you have any questions. After 20+ nights camping in the SW winter, we had no idea the wet bath was heated, until I read it here! Absolutely NO heated airflow into the bath until now, Thanks for reading! 😂 

I have the Truma heater and even though the ducting seems better, it still flows about 80% to the bedroom area and the bath is cold.  I will have to pull some things apart when it gets cooler outside.  It got up to 100 today with 70 humidity.  I could always run the ac I suppose.

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

12 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

I have the Truma heater and even though the ducting seems better, it still flows about 80% to the bedroom area and the bath is cold.  I will have to pull some things apart when it gets cooler outside.  It got up to 100 today with 70 humidity.  I could always run the ac I suppose.

That's the main reason to delete the bedroom duct, given yours has the similar 3 duct arrangement. Now the main airflow comes out through the kitchen duct, aimed at the floor away from the beds, and much greater airflow into the bathroom. We had that duct "where the dog lays down" closed as much as possible, but the other ducts truly get 2x airflow when the first duct is bypassed.

We've been hot too. Not East Texas hot & humid of course, but my A/C has been running afternoons so I can get this work done while I have time off work. I stay plugged into shore power during summers since our Oliver is parked outside in the Arizona sun. Set at 84 so it does not get up to high 90s inside. At elevation, we cool off at night, so it generally runs on-n-off about 6 hours a day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I had one more step to finalize this mod. Love it when I can cross something off the to-do list! Don't we all. 🤣

I deleted the duct under the bed and installed a return duct filter, so the deleted air duct needed the finishing touch. What is important is that no return air comes through this opening. The other consideration is the added return duct will throttle the return air, pull it a little more slowly, creating a stronger air pull through the basement. This is key to the basic design and will certainly help to protect the entry water plumbing (City Water and Fresh Tank inlets) in the rear of the Oliver (objective #2).

Bought this item on Amazon: Amazon.com : NVAAV 4 Inch Boat Round Inspection Deck Plate Hatch with Detachable Cover and Pre-drilled Holes, Water Tight for Kayak Marine Boat Yacht Outdoor Installations : Sports & Outdoors

Not the best quality, basically a cheap aftermarket part. I would not use it as an external deck plate, as the rubber seal was no good, so I went without it. The duct is a 4" opening and the deck plate for the water heater shut-off is 5", so my first thought to use the same part would not work.

It was a snug fit, so I filed the opening just a little. Replaced the screws included in the package with a size smaller that I had on hand. Looks good in the end. I enjoy the look of our water valve switches, the return duct and deck plates, all now complete!

New Ducts.jpg

Edited by jd1923
typo
  • Love 1