Anyone replace Norcold fridge with Isotherm?

2022 EII hull 1095-we are facing either repairing Norcold fridge or replacing with Isotherm or other 12 V fridge. We are leaning toward a 12V and wondering if anyone has any experience with this.  I have a ticket to Oliver asking for advice but seeking information from other owners. Thanks in advance 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Much depends on how much the Norcold repairs will cost you. Unfortunately,  I think you're about three months out of their warranty. What's the problem, and what's the fix?

We replaced our Norcold (2008) with a dometic. When the dometic cooling unit failed, we replaced our Dometic with a Truckfridge tf130, similar to the isotherm, but no rvia or coast guard approval. It has worked very well for a number of years. And, much less expensive than the isotherm. 

Do you have solar? What batteries? If you routinely camp with hookups, no worries about the 60 to 70 ah daily draw of a dc fridge.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

A thread for your reading pleasure .

Many older owners have done the swap, with a few different brands.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Kathy, I would think the swap would be fairly easy. The big things would be capping the propane line, wiring for AC/DC, insulating, and covering one or both vents on the backside of the vent.

I would look very closely at the drawer fridge/freeze. Not sure who makes it, but being a lento open it without loosing all the cold like the current fridge do when you open it.

Edited by John Dorrer
typo

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

5 hours ago, John Dorrer said:

Kathy, I would think the swap would be fairly easy. The big things would be capping the propane line, wiring for AC/DC, insulating, and covering one or both vents on the backside of the vent.

I would look very closely at the drawer fridge/freeze. Not sure who makes it, but being a lento open it without loosing all the cold like the current fridge do when you open it.

Thanks John-I talked to Mike at Oliver and the fit is not exact-some fiberglass work would be required and a platform built to support it. We are kind of in a pickle because Norcold discontinued the model and does not have any replacement parts.  Looking at the same model on ebay, might go with that.  Wish us luck!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Dorrer said:

The big things would be capping the propane line...

This phrase caught my eye. If the LP line is in the area of the fridge that vents ONLY outside, then this is OK not best. I've read some about this fridge needing an interior vent, then not OK at all.

Best installation would be to remove the gas line T-coupling down at the frame below the cabin and replace it with a straight coupling. This way there is absolutely no chance of LP leak into the cabin interior. 

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!