Parts list for the "older" Dexter Nev-R-Adjust 3500 lbs axles

I wanted to get more hands-on with the specific parts that will get installed onto my #110 (2016) trailer.  This should make me better at supporting the older trailers too.

I will also add any parts I use to my Maintenance Log and keep with the Ollie's manuals for future owners, if any.

Using JD's older thread for breaks and drums, I see the prices have gone up nearly $30 since 2021, just for the drum kit. 😜

I'd like to try to keep this thread focused on only replacing the OEM parts with either OEM parts or good alternatives, without going off the rails with fancy, expensive "possible" upgrade ideas. I have enough squirrels in my life.  😉

Also thanks to @mossemi for giving me an idea for a local shop from which to order, I might check them out too, but first to get smarter on what I will need.

For you experienced owners and do-it-yourselfers, see if I'm mucking up anything please, if you have time to check your own notes.

The trailerparts.com site provided by JD in 2021 still lists the part 655D with everything needed for the Brake Drum replacement. (Convenient)

Dexter 10" x 2 1/4" Brake Drum - 6 on 5 1/2" with 1 3/8" x 1 1/16" Bearings (68149 x L44649) - 1/2" Studs - $99.24

NOTE: I know all about the better Timken bearings and races from other threads.  They're on my radar if needed (it's a dead horse).

I'm thinking of going with manually adjustable brake assemblies on my original Dexter Nev-R-Adjust axles. 

Dexter 10" x 2.25" Electric Trailer Brake Kit - Left & Right Hand Assemblies - 3,500 lbs. Axle Capacity - $136.71

<OR>

etrailer Electric Trailer Brakes - 10" - Left/Right Hand Assemblies Manual Adjust - 3,500 lbs - $106.57

** I don't think there is any issue going to manual brakes, is there?  I don't mind adjusting myself.  Thoughts?

Otherwise, I will go with:

Dexter Nev-R-Adjust 10" x 2.25" Electric Brake Kit - Left & Right Hand Assemblies - 3,500 lbs. Axle Capacity - $195.45 ($192 at eTrailer)

And of course the all-mighty Alcan Springs

I already have plenty of the Red Line CV-2 synthetic grease along with all the tools. I've repacked the bearing at least once.

Shock Absorbers: Monroe 555001 (any other better options?)

Grease SealsNational Oil Seals Part #473336 Purchased at O'Reilly Auto Parts (Also get at eTrailer, Item # RG06-050) (just where I found parts in 2021)

Timken Parts if needed:

• 4 x L44649 Timken SET4 - Outer Bearings (1 1/16" ID)
  • 4 x L68149 Timken SET17 - Inner Bearings (1 3/8" ID)
  • 4 x L44610 Timken Outer Races
  • 4 x L68111 Timken Inner Races
Edited by Wayfinder
Updated Shocks, seals, and Timken list
  • Like 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

I preferred to stay with the self adjust, only worked the Timken upgrade. No other parts on our Oliver needed replacing, though our hull is likely low mileage. Here’s my take. 

Edited by jd1923
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators

@Wayfinder

I thought you wanted Oliver to install 5200 LB axles.  You should check with Dexter about the availability of 5200 LB axles to replace your OEM axles after you get your as built documents.  
Mossey

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Posted (edited)

Oh, I guess you missed the news from Oliver. They had completely removed my axles when they realized the new ones would not fit. The hangers are not in the same position as other trailers. 

There is no "play" with the new axles, Jason's words. They spent most of the day with engineers trying to make them work. This is why I still have all my old parts. They did however, install my EZ-Flex system, which I had provided the parts.  

It's a bummer, but oh well. Moving forward.  

Edited by Wayfinder

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

Also, I'm a very light traveler, and for now, solo.  So weight is not an issue yet.  The springs are my big concern before I retire and do a "real" road trip.  

I'm not sure if there are different 5200 lb axles from what OTT was attempting to put on my trailer.  I can always find out from them I guess.  

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

@jd1923 just to confirm what you said, "self adjusting" brakes. Do you mean auto-adjust or manually adjustable brakes?  I know you upgraded yours, just seeing how happy you are with yours now.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

4 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

@jd1923 just to confirm what you said, "self adjusting" brakes. Do you mean auto-adjust or manually adjustable brakes?  I know you upgraded yours, just seeing how happy you are with yours now.

I meant auto-adjust. John E Davies disliked them and suggested to replace them. I thought that was crazy and some others agreed they were good as-is.

Per @mossemi's post above. You went to OTT and they said they could not fit yours, ONLY because they do not at this time stock the 50" axles.

Check your other post, end of page 1 where @rideandfly on July 22 had called Dexter and found both axle lengths can be ordered: New axles may not fit all older sub-frames - Page 2 - Mechanical & Technical Tips - Oliver Owner Forums (olivertraveltrailers.com)

Am I happy with mine? No, I got them serviced OK. But wish I had not spent $200 on Timken bearings and maintenance and saved that money to buy the 5200 LB axles with 12" brakes. Mine will be OK for a couple years, since we do not drive many miles. But prior to another maintenance and ANY addition of repair parts, I'll just wait and replace the full axle/brake assemblies, also with improved bearings and adjusters, at some later date. And Install Alcan springs at the same time.

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Yup, thanks! @GraniteStaters.  Anything to do with the drums, bearings, seals, races, etc I have on the list.  Especially if I go with a full drum "kit", ready to go. 

Boy, if shipped to the house, this will be a heavy delivery.  Likely the heaviest ever.  LOL

Updating my list above.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

Sorry @mossemi, I was "not getting it".  Now @jd1923 has poked me with a fork.  Since OTT didn't mention any other options for axle sizes, I assumed it was a done deal and could not get upgraded 5200 axles. There's still a lot I'm taken in with all these great threads of golden nuggets.  

Thanks again @rideandfly for calling Dexter! I've posted in the other thread about axles and frame size.  If someone now says I've pulled my head out of my butt, then I'll inquire again with OTT about the custom order.  

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

then I'll inquire again with OTT about the custom order.

I don't know if you ordered directly from Dexter that it would be considered a custom order.  They may or may not be cheaper directly from a Dexter distributor.  You won’t get a straight answer from anyone until you have your as built information.

Mossey

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”