Indiana Camping

While 98% of Oliver Owners will probably never make Indiana a destination camping trip, the state offers some of the best camping in the Midwest. With access along I-80 and I-94 in the North, I-70 and I-74 across central Indiana, I-64 across the South. North-South on I-65 and the newly completed I-69.

This provides easy access for a couple days during travel through Indiana.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) manages the Indiana State Parks and State Recreation Areas (SRA).  All Indiana State Parks have electric, water throughout the campground, dump stations, and well maintained restrooms/showers. Some even have dedicated fresh water lanes just inside the campground and not connected to the dump station.

From reservoirs to Lake Michigan, and beautiful canyons, and Indiana Limestone cliffs, there is a lot for everyone.

Indiana Dunes SP and Indiana Dunes NP have great camping off Lake Michigan. No hook-ups in the National Park. Lake Michigan is a 5 minute walk from the State Park campground.

By November we will have camped in all 22 state parks and a large number of the SAR's.

Our favorites,  North: Indiana Dunes SP, Potato Creek SP, and Pokegan SP. Central: Turkey Run SP, Prophets Town SP, South: Clifty Falls SP, O'Bannon Woods SP. Also, there is Lincoln SP. The Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial is just across the road from the State Park. South Central: Brown County SP near Bloomington.

If you need info please feel free to reach out to me. Indiana Hospitality is the best.

Edited by John Dorrer
Update
  • Thanks 4
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, John Dorrer said:

Indiana Dunes SP and Indiana Dunes NP have great camping off Lake Michigan. No hook-ups in the National Park. Lake Michigan is a 5 minute walk from the State Park campground.

We stayed at Indiana Dunes NP and really enjoyed our stay.  The state park was nice too.

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Posted (edited)

Indiana State Recreation Area Campgrounds:

Salamonie Reservoir -North

Racoon Lake -West Central

Brookville Reservoir -East off I-74 near Ohio.

Patoka Lake - South Central, near Jasper, IN

Monroe Lake -South Central, near Bloomington

These are all great campgrounds.

Edited by John Dorrer
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

Thanks for sharing all this great information John. We truly do have some very nice and enjoyable state parks and reservoirs. I'd like to add a suggestion for those that may have relatives or friends in the region. Many of Indiana's state parks also have inns with restaurants and also cabins. These are great parks for a stop over combined with a meet up with loved ones and they can stay comfortably at an inn or cabin to enjoy the outdoor experience together during the visit. Here's a couple links for all the information you may need to plan a rendezvous visit. BTW the new inn at Potato Creek State Park, which is under construction, will be a state of the art facility that anyone would enjoy, and it's being built directly adjacent to the campground. 

Aerial view of lodge buildings by lake

https://www.in.gov/dnr/state-parks/inns/home/

https://www.in.gov/dnr/state-parks/rates-and-fees/family-cabins-fees-and-reservations/

Edited by Ollie-Haus
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

Hey, john  great thread. Camped at many parks.. Versailles, Clift falls, Turkey Run , Brookvile lake, whitewater..They keep them clean and updated..

• Like 1

spacer.png2022 Elite I  # 1179  |  2024 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crewmax. 5.5 ft. Bed. 3.31gears 10 spd.trans

3 hours ago, Golfnut said:

Hey, john  great thread. Camped at many parks.. Versailles, Clift falls, Turkey Run , Brookvile lake, whitewater..They keep them clean and updated..

I actually left Versailles SP off my list. We both enjoyed our stay there and would go back.

We did a couple of trips to the Elkhart area with our last fifth wheel (to visit the mothership). We really enjoyed the Amish region. Went to an Amish buffet and a huge flea market in Shipshewana. Got one of the best pizzas we've ever had in Goshen. And the Elkhart RV Museum is cool.

But the potholes on the highway... 😬

Edited by Steph and Dud B
Added museum
  • Thanks 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We did a couple of trips to the Elkhart area with our last fifth wheel (to visit the mothership). We really enjoyed the Amish region. Went to an Amish buffet and a huge flea market in Shipshewana. Got one of the best pizzas we've ever had in Goshen. And the Elkhart RV Museum is cool.

But the potholes on the highway... 😬

That is an amazing area. It was probably in the '70's when I worked up there that I ate at some amazing Amish Restaurants.

Edited by John Dorrer
typo
  • Like 2