LP Tank Cover

We just came back last week from a 12 day trip to the Grand Canyon and Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, AZ and have one observation. Whenever you setup or take down or stop for lunch on the road you have to take off the LP tank cover to turn the gas valve on or off. It is a bit of a PITA, but doable. It occurred to me if there was a small hatch either on top or in the front of the cover it would make it easier to get to the valve. Yeah, I know it would take away from the smooth lines, but I think it could be done in a acceptable manner.

Has this been considered before?

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderator+

I'm somewhat unclear on why you're turning the gas off at the bottles. Unless this is just your personal preference, and you prefer not to travel with them on, I don't know of any reason why you have to do that. Except when removing the bottles for filling, I've never turned the gas off on either of the Oliver's that I've owned. Maybe I've not been doing it correctly. I assume you do not run the fridge on gas while going down the road???

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Steve in some states, probably most, it is illegal to have the gas turned on while going down the road. But I suspect the majority of people do this anyway, and of course we can question the validity the additional safety factor with the gas off vs on. This argument came up awhile back on the FGRV forums as well, with opinions as you might guess all over the place. We have a friend who is on the local Search and Rescue team and if there was anyone whoever had a safety consciousness its this guy, and even he travels with his propane on.

Since picking up our Oliver we do travel with the gas on and the fridge being powered by the propane too. Don't know how many have been in cold with these trailers but heaven forbid you trying to pry those rubber locks loose when its cold. Rubber at 70º is way different than rubber at below freezing. Its also worth pointing out that a good many TV's do not produce enough amps to keep the fridge cold on the 12 volt system too.

Hope you had a great trip Stan. Cottonwood is a nice lithe town.

Legacy Elite II #70

I knew it was not good to run with the gas on, that's why I thought it would be a good idea to have a small access door. We had no problem with frig on DC and keeping the temp cold. We used to have a pop up pickup camper that the flame would not stay lit running down the road.

We did have some questions on battery use overnight that we will start a separate thread when we sort out the data. We kept a log of times, useage, and weather conditions on the trip. We used our solar/batteries for 3 nights at the Grand Canyon, later on that.

We did have a couple of other issues. One was in the pantry, the shelves are held up by small screws that go through a plastic loop and into the wall. Well, we put some things that were a little heavy on the top shelf and it pulled through the plastic loop and came down. Easy fix...a small washer and good to go, and only light things on the shelf. I just went and put washers on all the screws.

The other issue was the middle drawer under the sink came loose from the slide. Actually the slide came loose from the side wall of the cabinet. What happened was when the drawers were installed, 2 washers in the back and 1 in front were placed as a spacer between the slide and the cabinet wall. The problem was, the dinky little screws that came with the slides were used and they were not long enough to make up for the added length the washers required. Fix...longer and thicker screws.

We did have a good trip participating in the Verde Birdie thing that was held at Dead Horse Ranch State Park at Cottonwood, AZ.

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Great that your TV charging system was able to keep up with the 12 V demand. Its my understanding these types of fridge draw about 12 amps ± when running on 12V. On our month long trip after pickup we just kept the fridge on auto mode, and let it decide which power sources was the most appropriate. It could be that while traveling down the road it automatically switched to 12 volt vs propane. It is worth noting not once did your gas go out while traveling and given the wind we encountered not to mention the way out of level hill climbs and decent's it certainly had every opportunity to do so.

Leaving Weatherford, TX we headed into SW winds across I-20, but once we turned north to Lubbock and then onto Amarillo we were hitting what had to have been some 50-70 mph winds dead on from the north. Felt like driving through the dust bowl days with a fog of dust and low visibility with plumes of dust reaching way into the sky. Temps dropped from 87º down to just over 40º within about half an hour. Its not something I would ever want to repeat but have to say the Oliver hung in there towed as well as could be expected and the gas (pilot) did not go out amazingly enough. Gas milage dropped to 8 mpg during this leg.

Robert had warned us about those clips in the pantry so we never loaded it with heavy stuff. Good fix you came up with. Have not had issues with the drawers yet, but all of the clips that tie and strap the solar cables to the panels came loose during the trip. My guess is the horrendous head wind we encountered in TX is what snapped them loose. Waiting on replacements now.

Sounds like a great birding place down there.

Legacy Elite II #70