Touring the Texas Hill Country for a Battery (Girard Awning)

DunnYet

Last Thursday we arrived at the campsite and, hoping to help Reset 2.0 (LE II Hull 1364) cool faster in the Texas sun extended the awnings. After completing setup, we decided to go explore. I grabbed the Awning Remote and hit the "In" button. "L" was what I got on the display. I assumed that the remote was not telling me that I was a total loser, and that this indicated a low battery condition. 

Lesson 1: There is no / zero / zilch reserve capacity on the awning remote - once it says L that stands for out of luck. I pulled the batteries out, shuffled them around, rubbed magic pixie dust into them and got two more pulses out of them to get the awning retracted.

For those that don't have a full battery inventory of everything that uses a battery in your Oliver (that would include me) the awning remote uses three CR2430 Lithium batteries. This would be great if we camped in urban areas. However, as we were in the hill country of Texas ...

01A40154-77EB-47F8-BA8C-17787690475D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6a1946828bb7790e2b76b672f3a1f0df.jpeg

• Walmart Fredericksburg - no stock
  • Home Depot - no stock
  • Lowes - no stock
  • Ace Hardware Fredericksburg - 2
  • Ace Hardware Wimberly - 2

Remember - I need 3....

So off on a delightful tour of  Central Texas, kind of a preview of the Texas Rally coming up in October. Breakfast in Johnson City, battery pickup in Wimberly, shopping for flour and bourbon in Dripping Springs, lunch at Ab Astris in Hye, battery pickup in Fredericksburg, then back to the trailer in Stonewall. 

Lesson 2: Have a battery inventory and spares. I never thought about the fact that the awning remote had batteries...

Lesson 3: Texas, especially the Hill Country, is a great place to drive around in. (Ok, so I already knew that 🤣.)

• Like 3

Current: 2023 Oliver Elite II - Hull #1364 "Reset 2.0" (Second Owner)
Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Max Tow Package "SIlver"
Original: 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset" (For Sale)
Original Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
Home Base: Duncanville, TX

spacer.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderator+
1 hour ago, DunnYet said:

Last Thursday we arrived at the campsite and, hoping to help Reset 2.0 (LE II Hull 1364) cool faster in the Texas sun extended the awnings. After completing setup, we decided to go explore. I grabbed the Awning Remote and hit the "In" button. "L" was what I got on the display. I assumed that the remote was not telling me that I was a total loser, and that this indicated a low battery condition. 

Lesson 1: There is no / zero / zilch reserve capacity on the awning remote...

Lesson 2: Have a battery inventory and spares...

Lesson 3: Texas, especially the Hill Country, is a great place...

Lesson 4: There's also a battery inside the awning. It's for the wind sensor. It does have an audable warning when it's going low. The problem is if you don't know about it in advance I've heard one will actually become a total loser due to the incessant beeping that you can't locate..

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Lucy, Maggie and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

2 hours ago, DunnYet said:

Breakfast in Johnson City, battery pickup in Wimberly, shopping for flour and bourbon in Dripping Springs, lunch at Ab Astris in Hye, battery pickup in Fredericksburg, then back to the trailer in Stonewall.

Nice, we will do some of that during the Texas Rally!

Another thought is Amazon to a local pickup locker. If I ordered this today, it would be delivered here tomorrow: Amazon.com: PGSONIC CR2430 3V Lithium Battery (5pcs) : Cell Phones & Accessories

• Thanks 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

1 hour ago, ScubaRx said:

Lesson 4: There's also a battery inside the awning. It's for the wind sensor. It does have an audable warning when it's going low. The problem is if you don't know about it in advance I've heard one will actually become a total loser due to the incessant beeping that you can't locate..

The newer models are hard wired. I believe our 2022 Girard sensor is hardwired as wires go from the sensor to the Oliver. There are no screws or battery compartment.

Edited by John Dorrer
Updated Comment
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

35 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

Another thought is Amazon to a local pickup locker. If I ordered this today, it would be delivered here

I should have listed that - all the lockers out there came back with a Tuesday delivery date - one day after we got back to Dallas. But that is a great option in most places!

• Like 1

Current: 2023 Oliver Elite II - Hull #1364 "Reset 2.0" (Second Owner)
Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Max Tow Package "SIlver"
Original: 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset" (For Sale)
Original Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
Home Base: Duncanville, TX

spacer.png

5 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Thank you!  I love this forum for those little tidbits one would not even think about, guess I will have to search now for this battery

image.jpeg.629cefc31fb199fb3bcb5b4bb11c2bf3.jpeg