Renting out my Ollie?

JaquelynK

I am in the process of planning my retirement five or so years hence. My developing plan is to buy an Ollie in the next year or two and have it paid off by the time I retire. Then I would travel in it probably in the spring and fall after I retire. My question is, has anyone had experience with renting out their Ollie? I found several websites where you can do that. I would hate to have strangers in my baby, but if I could pay it off faster before I retire and am not using it much, that would be good. And if I could rent it out in the high season afterwards, my fixed income would not get so bent. I am still formulating this recently-hatched retirement plan so any advice would be helpful. I haven't even ordered the thing yet and I am already considering pimping it out.

Jaque

• Moderator+

I do see requests from time to time on the various forums to rent FG trailers and there are a few folks out there doing just that. It's not an unreasonable option for someone. You could pay your unit off quicker if it were generating income. A venture like this would not appeal to some owners and you may get some backlash of negative opinions. I would not let this deter me if I wanted to proceed.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks for the prompt response. I'm brand new to all things Ollie and this forum seems like it will be very helpful. I assume you are suggesting that some might feel that stooping so low as to rent out your trailer would somehow reduce the perception of eliteness of the Ollie and thus reduce their resale value or just their general level of smugness. I confess I hadn't thought of that. But by sharing, might I not increase awareness of the brand and demand for it, thus increasing their resale value. I'll see what I hear back and keep your comment in mind. Perhaps if I have to go that way, I will keep it low key and out of the forum. Good advice, thanks.

Jaque

• Moderator+
...I assume you are suggesting that some might feel that stooping so low as to rent out your trailer would somehow reduce the perception of eliteness of the Ollie and thus reduce their resale value or just their general level of smugness...

No, that's not what I meant at all. I was merely trying to subtly predict that (as Gary stated) most owners would not consider renting their unit out and any comments as such might seem like rain on your parade. I don't think renting is a bad idea at all and with a good business plan you can make it work for you. I too had thought that it might increase awareness of Fiberglass trailers in general and Oliver in particular.

Don't worry, nothing any of us do with our trailers will alter the fact that the Oliver is the finest Fiberglass Travel Trailer ever produced (smugness intended :roll: ).

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I would not rent my Oliver...too much chance of abuse or damage. I have given thought to buying a few older Casitas and renting them, but after more thought the work and hassle do not justify the small amount of income they might bring in.

I think your location is key to a successful rental venture. Are there destination Campgrounds near?

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

I agree there would be risks associated with renting, so I would have to screen carefully. And it would be a pain in the ass all around. So it would be a back-burner idea. I just wondered if it was commonly done. I do live in a vacation destination, so I could even move the thing to a local campground and set it up as part of a one week package. That would minimize the risk since I would be moving it myself. I've just discovered the Ollie this week, so I'm still working out the kinks of how to get my hands on one. Kind of pricey for me so I was thinking of how I might minimize the financial bite. Thanks for your thoughts.

Jaque

• Moderators

There is a company in Tampa that rents vintage Airstreams, delivered to the site.

Since you live in a camping destination area, thought you might want to see what they offer and do.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Excellent question on the insurance. I would have to look into that. My retirement planner seems to think I can manage just fine without taking in boarders, so hopefully my Ollie will stay all mine.

Jaque

Idaho-based Ollie of the Future (probably a 2017)

Silverado 2500HD Duramax with Allison 6 Speed

Jaque

Very helpful website, thanks. I hope I can keep my Ollie my own and not "take in boarders." But it is helpful to know what other options there might be if finances go sideways.

Jaque

Idaho-based Ollie of the Future (probably a 2017)

Silverado 2500HD Duramax with Allison 6 Speed

Jaque