Storage - Protecting Tires

ScottyGS

Hey again Everyone....

We are getting close to putting the Flying Sea Turtle up for winter storage and my plan is to:

A.) Cover the tires to prevent sun damage

B.) Get the trailer up on jacks to prevent flat spots on the tires

I have A pretty much covered and wanted to let you all know that camping world has a Buy One Get One Free sale on for tire covers.  Here is a link:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/elements-black-double-tire-cover-27-29-/84957

As far as B is concerned...   I figure to use the rear jacks to get the trailer off the ground and then use blocks or jack stands to keep it there.  Ideally, Just getting the tires an inch off the ground should be good.

What suggestions do you have as to where to put the jack stands.... OR.... are you using another method (cinder blocks / wood / etc) that is working for you. 

Thanks in advance for any tips and Travel Safe.

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Scotty,

I just got off the phone with Tommy Staggs at Oliver. He suggested that I purchase 4 jack stands and place them under the two axles of my Elite II--placing them inboard of each wheel. He said that I should not place them under any part of the aluminum frame.

I plan to purchase 4 adjustable jack stands, each rated at 2,0000 lbs.

Don

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• 3 weeks later...

I ran across a Blog post by Larry Harmon suggesting the use of jack stands to avoid flat-spotting tires. Larry posted this on April 23, 2016. Here's a sentence from his post: "I am told that the axle manufacturer advises that the jack stand should not be placed directly under the axle tube, but instead placed under the flat part of the spring." (I revised the sentence but not it's meaning). I called Dexter and the person I talked to said to put the jack stands under the frame, not the axles. I told him that Tommy Staggs from Oliver said not to put the stands under the aluminum frame. Dexter promised to have their "senior" technician call me back to discuss where I should place the jack stands and to explain what problems can arise from having the jack stands under the axles. As soon as I learn more, I'll post the information on the Forum. I think Oliver should develop some type of written protocol for questions like this. As an owner, I don't think it's helpful to receive different information from different people--here, Larry H. and Tommy S.

• Thanks 1

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

Glenn Null from Dexter Axle called me back. He said not to put jack stands under the axles or the springs. He also said it's not necessary to get the tires off the ground. Suggested that old bias-ply tires could develop permanent flat spots, but not modern radial tires. He advised me to get the tires on the ground immediately which I will do as soon as I finish this post. He also said that I may have damaged both axles. He advised me to take them to the frame and axle shop I've dealt with in Iowa City and have them email the serial number of the axles so he can provide them with information on how to check the camber. If they are damaged, I'll experience abnormal wear on the inside of the tires. I plan to have a conversation with Oliver Travel Trailers if my axles are damaged due to the advice Tommy Staggs gave me.

So, please don't jack stands anywhere under your Oliver! Leave the tires on the ground during storage.

• Thanks 2

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

Don,

Thank you checking with Dexter and passing along the information.  I hope all is right with your axles and there is no problem.  After reading the advice you passed along from Dexter regarding modern radial tires not having to worry about flat spots, I decided to do some additional checking.  I searched Google and visited a number of car and RV sites and while there is no clear consensus it does appear that older or very high speed / high performance tires will have flat spotting more often than modern radials.  That said... there are still concerns about any tire in storage for long periods of time and / or in extreme cold weather.  Both are conditions our trailer will face over the winter.

Here are some suggestions I read (Read.... like on the internet the teller of all things true - grain of salt time) that folks may want to consider:

Unload the trailer so that minimum weight will be on the tires

Inflate tires to operating pressure plus 25% - Think that would be about 100 psi for Ollies

put the tires on wood planks - "softer" than pavement or gravel and protect from the COLD ground - lots say this works fine, no Flat Spots

Put the levelers down to take just a bit of weight off the tires - the whole weight of the trailer would be bad for the jacks over time

Cover the tires with tire covers NOT tarps to protect from UV - strap em down good for the wind

Take the trailer for a ride every month to 3 months, but NOT in extremely cold weather

Finally you may want to try "Race Ramps Flatstoppers" (google it) - I don't plan on it but it's interesting to consider

Many people with large trailers (5th wheels etc.) say they store over winter and do not have an issue with modern tires.

I will call my storage facility tomorrow and ask them about this.  Will pass along any new info.

Don, again... I really appreciate your sharing this.  Got my fingers crossed for you.  Hope we get to meet IRL at an Ollie rally or something... will pay the beers I owe when we do.

Scotty

Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators

Over the last 8 1/2 years, I've never really worried about this much because The Wonder Egg was on the road so often.  Down here in Texas, the camping season is pretty much year round.  This year, however, my trailer has stayed still waaaaay too long as I tended to other things.  (I plan to remedy that next year - woohoo!)  I used to think having quality Michelin tires would preclude flat spots because they were not old fashioned designed or ST tires.  It turns out that is a myth.  Even Michelins may develop a flat spot if they happen to sit too long, especially if the pressure lowers due to a slow leak or huge temperature change.

Looking around the web this evening I came across something that may solve our problems.  These "flatstoppers" cradle the tire and distribute the weight over a greater area, greatly reducing the likelihood of flat spots when your rig stays still for too long.

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-FS-10-Wide-Flatstopper/dp/B00H5PTQGC/ref=pd_sim_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QEKYKVK07WMMPN9PWTQ3

This way, their won't be too much concentrated stress on our aluminum frames or our axles.  It may have potential solving for this problem.  Whataya think?

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Scotty, I think you are worrying 10 gallons about a one gallon problem..... Chill out and take a deep breath.

Pump up your tires to the max sidewall psi, cover them if the sun gets to them, and lower your jacks slightly.

Go have a beer.

Happy Hollidays, everyone.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.