At what stage of the building process is the VIN assigned to the trailer?

John E Davies

When construction begins, or when it is completed? I sent an email to Anita but hope someone here can enlighten me.

It is very important since my credit union will not finalize an RV loan and issue funds until there is a VIN and a final "out the door" price.

If the VIN does not get assigned until the end, how in the world are buyers who finance getting that second 35% payment to Oliver?

Color me confused..... I really wish somebody would spell out for me, step by step, how financing a special factory order actually works. Some of the steps must be very different from buying a completed trailer off a dealer lot. Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I have no clue, we just have been saving up for a long time to pay for it all in cash. Sold our Casita too.

Karen

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderator+

In the past the VIN was assigned at the end of the build process as the unit was "sold."  In the beginning, after the factory resumed the trailer line in 2013, there were three trailers in production.  One of them was our trailer and the other two were to be sent to Quartzsite and sold as demos. So our Outlaw Oliver was the first one of the 23.5 footers off the line to be sold to a customer. There were three VIN's to be assigned to those three trailers. Since the VIN determines your hull number, we were allowed to "pick" our VIN.  All that being said and except for the fact that your hull number would be out of line with those coming off the line before yours, I don't see any problem with the VIN being assigned earlier in the process.  Of course, the factory has a person that assigns them and she may see things somewhat differently.  Never hurts to ask though.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I asked the same question today of Anita. Not sure we got a viable answer. She said the person who assigns numbers waits for some reason until it becomes a full unit. I would think a vin number would be assigned when the chassis/frame was complete. After all once it becomes a rolling chassis it is a licensable vehicle. The number would be on all paper work and the last three numbers are the hull number. We wanted the vin to register  and title, as when we pick it up we may not return home before temp. plates expire. I see no reason to delay.. call and ask, I think you have a very valid reason for a prompt number, and it would be in their best interest to provide one...

I actually called and asked today as our is a few weeks into the build and will be done after 1-15, which was their last estimate. So one of the reasons that I called today was to get the Hull#. So Jason walked out and asked for the number but it still hasn't been assigned yet. In a few weeks, the day that it's finished, we will be driving out to pick it up, so I was hoping to get it today. But we're writing a check for the rest so it's not that important... I guess... :( Sure would be nice though... I think if you call and they know where you are in the build process, that your # should be able to be given to you since you're financing. I will be calling the State to register it by phone afterwards because they only give us 30 days here in California and we want to hit the East Coast and see some friends before we go all the way west again, hopefully in the Spring...

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II