Fresh Water Sanitize

Well I'm just full of questions these days getting my Ollie ready for upcoming trips.

When doing the Spring fresh water sanitize with bleach, should I bypass the hot water tank? Seems like it would be a good idea but I'm not sure. I plan on following Buzzy's technique as he posted here a while back but there was no mention about the hot water tank. Thanks.

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

• Moderators

Lately, we've used a different product to sanitize the tanks, and water in the boat and the trailer. A friend told us about purogene, a non bleach, no flavor change product. No chlorine smell or taste.

We've used purogene, and a similar product activated with citric acid (lemon juice), and quite happy with it in both the trailer and boat.

My sister and I are both sensitive to bleach. (Headaches, breathing).  Im glad to find an alternative.

Sherry

• Thanks 6

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Dave,

When I saw your post yesterday I was in a bit of a rush basically doing the same thing you mention and thought that by now you would have had a bunch of replies.  Short answer - yes, I "do" the heater.  Even though I leave the heater dry over the winter I think that it is just too easy to lump it in with the rest of the fresh water system when I sanitize.  Therefore, in goes the bleach, let it sit overnight and today I'll flush the whole thing.  Sometimes I wonder exactly why I do this in that I never actually drink the water either from the tanks or from "city" supplied water while on the road or camped - I bring along "bottled" water.  I do this because of sensitivity to changes in the water's mineral content versus being all that worried about bacteria.  I any case, I know that ALL is as clean as I can make it.

Bill

• Thanks 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Just getting caught up from a brief trip to Bermuda.  Nice island, but no Ollies!  Sad!

My son-in-law helped me write the water sanitizing procedure.  He functions as the water quality guy for islands in and around the Caribbean.  Since he and my daughter plan to use Ollie from-time-to-from, I mentioned that it would be in his best interest to help craft the procedure. ????

Yes, including the hot water tank is wise.  I do like Sherry’s alternative for those with a sensitivity to bleach.  Wise choice!

Like Bill, I tend to drink bottled water and maybe a beer or two.  ????  I like to think a sanitized water system could help me if I happen to get a little water in my eyes or nose during the shower. ????

Buzzy

• Thanks 2

Buzzy

2016 Oliver Elite II - June 9, 2016
2016 F150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Max Towing

Great, thanks everyone. I'll sanitize the whole system.

We don't drink out of the tanks either as a rule, but I like to think that I could if we got in a pinch. I actually have some Purogene on hand. I always thought it was mostly for treating water that you were going to drink, but I will have to look into that. I'm sure it would be great for seasonal sanitizing as well. Thanks for the reminder Sherry! Onward.....

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter