Just Made Deposit on New Elite, Suggestions Please

dougi

I just placed a deposit on a new Legacy Elite. I requested factory delivery during the last half of September. The trailer will be used by my wife and I for extended RV trips of 2-4 months each. We want to travel to the mountains if we take summer trips and to warmer climates for our winter trips. We will be towing with a Toyota RAV4, V6 (269HP), 2WD, w/factory towing package (rated to tow 3,500#). Occasionally we may have a grandchild with us.

We like to camp at public parks (National, state, and local) and sometimes we will camp at places without any hookups for several days at a time. We have two portable solar panels, and two portable Honda 2000 generators we can hook together. I have a Olympia Wave8 Cat heater that I will use to heat the trailer, so I am deleting the furnace and getting a propane quick connect for the heater. I love my cat heater and never use the furnace in my Arctic Fox 29ft 5th wheel.

What options do you folks recommend I carefully consider, and why? I am familiar with RV's as this will be my 5th RV. I wanted something that would give me good gas mileage and something that was well-built, reliable, long-lasting, and feature packed (not an entry level unit). This is why I picked the Oliver. We will have to down-size on what we take with us (especially clothes) because the trailer is so much smaller than our 5th wheel.

The options I am currently considering are: Double pane windows, aluminum spare wheel, twin bed set up, solar ready, 2 additional 12V outlets to recharge cell phones. Please tell me how you like these options if you have them in your unit.

Question: Is the TV powered by 12V or by 120V power? I prefer 12V, for obvious reasons.

• Moderators

Sounds to me like you are a well seasoned RVer that is making quality decisions based on your camping needs.

Seems like we could use a couple of extra 12 v. outlets ourselves, so that when our phones are charging we can operate a 12 v. coffee maker or plug in a laptop.

The television and entertainment center are both 12 v. we only run our genset when we need to use the microwave, airconditioning or charge batterys on extended boondocking stays.

The King Dome is also 12 v. , but your satellite reciever will likely be 110 Volt AC, and need a small inverter to run while boondocking, unless you chose an inverter option on your build sheet.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Doug,

Congratulations on your Oliver purchase! I am sure you and your wife will be thrilled with the quality that is packed into this wonderful trailer. You said your Rav4 has a 3500# towing capacity and you were slightly concerned about the storage space available in the Oliver. While the Rav4 will handle the Oliver fine, a slightly larger TV might give you more storage capacity and an extra margin of strength for pulling in the mountains.

Solar ready is a good idea. If television is not that key to your lifestyle, consider eliminating the KingDome and replacing it with solar panels mounted on your trailer. (You'd still have the entertainment center for movies) I have a 100W solar power system and Technomadia has a 200W system on top of his. It'll be invaluable during your boondocking trips.

As far as 12V, I added 3 more to the factory standard: One under the dinette for my laptop; One near the galley for my coffee maker; and one in the isle just outside the bed on the street side for miscellaneous items like cell phones, ets. I've used them all.

Just food for thought. I'm sure however it is configured you will LOVE IT! Welcome to the Oliver family!!!!!!!!!

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Hi DougI !!!

And welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase! :D

So many options have been made standard, I have a hard time keeping up BUT the double pane windows are a "gotta' have". I,ve had a single shell w/single pane windows in my Casita and the Oliver has been in much colder weather and stayed much warmer, easier!

By the same token, the A/C doesn't have to work as hard so the 9200 btu A/C is doable making generator usage easier. You have picked other good options with the solar ready and propane tee. Suggest a gen ready kit also. Alum spare will save a little weight. I discussed a sewer ext to hookup a 'Sewer Solution' vs the 'stinky slinky' with Daniel and I will be emailing pics to him when I get mine done. Bugeye didn't mention his great cell phone amplifier built in between his top shells! He'll explain it to you now that I've pointed out that he FORGOT to mention it!! :o He's getting so short time to his retirement that it's all he can think about!!! :roll:

Looking forward to meeting you down the road,

Chuck 8-)

• Moderators

Doug,

To read about the cell phone signal amplifier, go to:

It works great and keeps my cell phone and computer internet air data card up and running when I am a very long distance from cell phone towers.

Technomadia, your July 25th Uber-Oliver delivery is right around the corner! I can't wait to see your blog postings as you & Cherie hit the road :lol:

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderator+

Doug,

I know you will be very happy with your new Oliver. My wife, Tali, and I just took delivery on our last week. We could not be happier with it. We made no omissions to the package that comes with the Legacy Elite as the options included met all our needs. We did add the convection microwave so as to have some additional cooking options. We also added the Aluminum wheels and 8-ply tires, the lift kit, a gen-set hookup, double pane windows and the backup camera. I also had the factory modify my frame to give me a longer tongue as our current TV is a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It has a back gate that opens like a door and we needed room for it to swing over the tongue without hitting the basket for the generator. In addition, I had them add two receivers on the rear of the frame so I can attach a rear carrier if I want to. Anything you want done, the Oliver crew will make every attempt to do as they are truly outstanding. I overheard Jim Oliver tell one of his crew "We never tell a customer 'That can't be done'."

Everyone else has already been over several other very useful options and I echo their statements on them.

We opted for the twin bed model. We decided that, with the additional floor space and storage room, it was worth giving up sleeping in the same bed. We also have a large dog that will be traveling with us and he needs room also. I will be happy to send you some pictures of our interior if you think it would help in your decision making process. PM me with your e-mail with any questions and I will be glad to provide any info I can...

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg