ALASKA! Share your experiences & dreams

ShallowGal

• Moderators

So, first of several links to new threads.

Camping in the Yukon.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/camping-in-the-yukon-territory/

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Loved our route this year up 97 /16/37.

Just not sure about vehicles with smaller tanks. Fuel is far between. Great road....

We carried 50 gallons of fuel. .. didn't have to worry. . just saying

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

What was the longest mileage between fuel stops then? And how bad was the terrain that might affect MPG?

Whereas you have done that trip so many times, as one who has never done it, your opinion of a good route will go a long way

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Alaska is a great destination, and getting there is just part of the fun. Canada and Yukon are just a great trip to pass through, but watch out for free range Bison in eastern BC. By the way they blend in very nicely at dusk... We spent 35 days on that trip, pre Ollie. We only had 3 days were we had definite plans, the rest was all free form - "planning - what planning". . Will go back with the ollie (July 2018 delivery) next year I expect. A few things to remember:

1. Gravel will destroy everything behind the TV, and do a good number on the TV. Protection is a must. JD has good ideas on this. And there is a special kind of mud/dirt that stains plastic car parts - jeeze it didn't want to come off. At a few organized campgrounds we used their rv wash stations to remove the road grime - well worth the time.

2. Fuel was no issue, we just assumed 3/4 full was time to start looking, never got below 1/4.

Cost - well it is just more....Unleaded was plentiful, diesel was as well.

3. The milepost was OK, but hard to really keep straight. Will look at something different next time. Don't assume a store or gas stop is open and in business just because its listed as so in trip planner. Just sayin.. We Always looked to go a route not well traveled, and not a repeat. We went almost everywhere, including a week long raft trip on the Talkeetna, a fly in trip. very cool.(one of three "I had to plan for" places.) Anchorage is not a place to discover IMHO.

4. Phones were usually worthless, except in well developed areas.

5. Crossing the borders - Not a big deal, just follow the rules. Food, weapons, etc. Had some sticks of firewood I had forgotten, when entering the US into AK, the Customs dude called me back to rear of van - asked me "You got this in US - right" Yes Sir!

6. CC and cash - just depends on how you travel. We used CC for gas and camping fees when available, cash is best changed at banks. Didn't really worry about the exchange rates and fees on CC. Probably will look at CC fees next trip.

7. Take your time, leave stress at home, getting in a hurry - just pisses one off -especially during road construction areas. Let it all roll off your back, and it will be a great trip. Bugs were not as bad as I expected, Bears were not an issue- well except in Denali and Valdez - just carry bear spray and common sense. And brush up on running faster than all but one of you party....

Now go have fun.

PS - my son lives in Fairbanks - absolutely loves AK - Says he is retiring there, so I guess I be making a lot more trips....

20160712_072250.thumb.jpg.41245c8abef9882b08e013a68dd0c9e5.jpg

• Thanks 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Randy, I think the longest mileage between fuel stops was around 175 miles. We stop before we are half empty, because you can't count on the next station being open or having fuel. This trip, every listed station in 37 appeared to have gas, except one in Iskut, I think.

The road surface on 37 is a rougher type if pebbly aslhalt, for the most part. It's a little noisy, but this year it was in excellent condition with few potholes, frost heaves or other breaks. It's now entirely paved. Last time we drove it, there was a thirty to forty mile stretch that was gravel. (This is the Cassiar highway.) The rougher asphalt probably would affect mileage more if you drove at US highway speeds, but you won't. We got the usual 8 to 10 mpg with the Ford Triton v10. The Alcan was much rougher,with more potholes and wallows and frostheaves, but we were only on that from Whitehorse on.

We really like this route. It's not heavily traveled, and very sparsely populated. It's also really beautiful. There are a number of moderate elevation changes, and a lot of stretches without much of a shoulder. I wouldn't want to drive it in winter, as our Whitehorse friends say it's often only one lane plowed, but in spring and summer, it's great.

Driving up through eastern BC and Alberta , through Jasper, we see more wildlife. Bison and bear on the roads, etc. In great numbers. We also see more traffic and more competition for campgrounds. If we ever drive round trip, we'd probably go one way up and one way back, depending on fires and floods. You'd see a lot more taking different routes up and back.

Sherry

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Randy, I looked at the log. Our longest run between gas stations was 331 km, or roughly 200 miles, between Meziadin junction (turnoff to Hyder and Stewart) and Dease lake. We were able to skip the gas station at Bell II lodge, so it didn't have to be that long.. this was on 37/Cassiar hey.

Dease lake and Meziadin junction were both pricey. But hey, their cost for delivery is probably pretty steep, too. I think Dease was about 1.62 per liter. There's often a line at the pumps.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks. I wasn't sure how long we were talking about. The old truck, 200 would have had me considering potential back up thoughts. The new truck gets 600 miles towing, so no worries.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

Tok, Alaska is a stop just about everyone makes, coming in from Chicken on the rough Top of the World, or the normal Alcan route.

It's a great little town.

Gas prices aren't bad, especially after Canadian prices. Northern Energy gas station has a free dump station, free clean potable water fill, plus a FREE cold water/ high pressure RV wash. They supply brushes and buckets and water. Bring your own soap, rags, and microfiber towels for bugs and stains on plastic. Best time we've found is midmorning...say ten thirty to eleven am. Two outdoor bays. Nice people. Lots of space. But there may be a line in season. Hey, it's free. We spend $15 to $20 at other car washes in Fairbanks and Wasilla...

The information center bhere is very nice. Pretty, big log cabin, nice exhibits and the sweetest man, now probably in his 80s, who volunteers every year and mingles, sending you to the right bracks for maps and brochures. We think he spends his winters studying up, and waiting for season to arrive. That's how excited he is when you walk into his area. ☺️

Theres a little Thai restaurant, and a nice three bears grocery. (Not really a lot cheaper than the Real Canadian Superstore in White horse, but not bad if you shop the sale items. And, they have had vacpacked Wild Alaskan Salmon fillets the last two years. Flash frozen Copper River packing company. Yummy on the fire. )

There's a nice state campground about five miles outside town, just before you come in from Beaver Creek, sort of under the Tok River Bridge. Tok River State Park. A few really nice big sites near the river. The road is pretty quiet at night. $18 us, I think. No dump station. Usually a water pump, but bagged off this time. Vault toilets. No showers. But, you can get water at Northern Energy gas.

IMG_20180602_1253295391.thumb.jpg.02e131354c5f6eb5552d28a20dd0e4e4.jpg

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4