Edisto Beach, South Carolina?

topgun2

• Moderators

Sometime over the next three weeks I plan to travel over to the sea.  Has anyone ever stayed at or near Edisto Beach?  I understand that Huntington Beach State Park might still be closed.  Any suggestions for a nice mid-week three or four days stay in this area?

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hunting Island State Park Closed: Hunting Island State Park is closed until December 31, 2017 due to damages by Hurricane Irma. The Nature Center is open and serves as an information hub for the park. If you have a reservation at Hunting Island between now and December 31, 2017, you will be contacted and a full refund will be issued. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.

If Charleston is not too far, James Island County Park is very nice.

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

• Moderators

Thanks Tom - a bit of confusion on my part between Huntington Beach and Hunting Island.  I'll check out James Island.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill,

We are heading to Assateague Island National Seashore tomorrow. Even this late in the season, could not get space on weekend. Need to get some seashore time in.

Stan

• Thanks 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

Stan & Carol - its been years since I've been there to see the ponies.  Have a great time!  And, how about some pics?

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

When I pulled into Huntington Beach State Park yesterday afternoon it was 84 degrees and raining.  By 6pm the wind was up but it had stopped raining.  This morning it is 56 degrees and still breezy but the sunrise on the beach was great.  The camp is full and apparently stays that way most of the time.  Given what I've seen so far I'm not surprised - hopefully pics will happen.

Bill

Bill, The only pics I got were some nice sunrise pics from the beach. Ponies would wander through the camp looking for any goodies, and having had horses for 40 years, no need for any pics. Did get to go out with the Ranger for some kayak fishing in the Chesapeake out of Kiptopeke State Park. About wore my old butt out paddling against the incoming tide and wind, but it was fun.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

• Moderators

I spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights at Huntington Beach State Park, South Carolina.  It is no surprise that this camp is full most of the time.  Reservations via Reserve America can be made 13 months in advance.  There are a small number of "full service" sites that include electric, water, and sewer, but, most sites are just electric and water.  However, there are two or three convenient dump stations as you exit the camping area.

The primary attraction is the beach - there is something around 3 miles of it with two nice access areas directly from the camp (near site 33 and site 9).  There is also the winter home of the Huntington's that has Spanish Moorish architecture, but for me (besides the beach) the attraction was is miles of trails and roads for biking and the numerous boardwalks out onto the marsh areas.  These walks allowed for the viewing of bald eagles, rosette spoonbills, egrets (several different ones), herons, gators and oyster beds.

The grass is cut, the restrooms are clean and even though the park was full it really didn't seem that crowded given that there is plenty of space between sites.  Just outside the park is all kinds of shopping, restaurants, and just down the road in Myrtle Beach there is your typical eastern seaside town stuff to do.  Even though I do not golf (a walk well spoiled as Mark Twain said), there is an amazing number of courses nearby.

I've already got my reservations in for September, 2018!

pjbtx2bt7zef4d5644eebtm7go1mx9tc.jpg.3125e3ae0edc7229977c3feaffecff42.jpg

• 4 months later...

I want to plan a trip for this fall --- Sept to Nov timeframe. We live in NC, are retired & are somewhat new to camping. We got our Oliver this past summer. We 'did' Acadia in Aug.  Any suggestions on which direction to head? Thx.

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

SG, Seeing you live in N.C., you have mountains in the west and ocean in the east. We just moved here last July from KC area, so most of our traveling has been west in the mountains. Rocky Mountain National Park is great in late September, with the elk in rut, the leaves changing, the weather nice, hard to beat. We did a trip down to Big Bend, TX in Feb., so that may be nice in Nov.

Now that we live in VA. we have a lot of territory to explore here on the east coast. More beach time, for sure, back to Assataugue this summer.

I'm sure you will get a lot of neat places to try. Have fun

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA