Fresh Water Tank Overflow Problem

@raspy, how do you "take it apart", the pump, to see what is in there?. Intermittently the pump runs so I do think the problem is in the check valve. If it is, it isn't just a mechanical issue requiring maintenance. It could have been prevented in construction and thus validates my earlier comment voicing my frustration with a new $60,000 RV. But nothing is perfect. I just need to learn. If I cannot fix it myself, or it flushes out by itself, then Oliver will need to send me a new pump. I was in the construction business all my working life. In all those years I never had a "punch list" because I personally made sure everything was done right before exiting the job. The person responsible for this job at Oliver is obviously not doing it well. Unfortunately, based on the problems presented in this forum, that is a fact. There should be absolutely NO pieces of plastic or fiberglass in our water lines. Ludicrous to think otherwise.

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

If the problem turns out to be a check valve that doesn’t seal properly l can guess why. I constantly find plastic pieces (such as you would see from drilling) in the suction filter screen at the pump and in my anti bug screen covering the fresh tank drain under the trailer. This could be your debris source. You’ll just need to flush everything out well.

Thanks, but how do you flush everything out well?

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

rouge,

You'll have to look at the pump and figure out how to take it apart yourself.  If you are not comfortable with that, call Oliver and ask them what to do.  As I remember, it's a simple matter to remove the pump head and take it apart.  Do it carefully and look for a piece of debris or a damaged part.  It's good to know how to do it anyway in case you have a problem while out camping.

I'm sorry you are so disappointed, but if you are that upset about this problem and expecting to never have anything go wrong with mechanical equipment, I'm afraid you are getting set up for more disappointments.   In the world I live in, mechanical problems do occur even with the best of intentions.  Oliver buys equipment from outside vendors and has to trust that the equipment will do the job.  They even give you a guarantee that it will.  It's incorrect to think that Oliver benefits in any way from a part failing or that they are willing to be careless or that they deliberately install bad equipment.    In fact, they probably hate warrantee issues more than you do.

If you find a problem with the pump I'm sure Oliver will take care of it.   You might count yourself fortunate that you have not had to deal with several of the other problems that a number of us have, such as the drawer slide problem, the water tank problem and some others.  I have, and I still love my trailer.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Still working on a fix for the window covering frames that like to fall off

Raspy--

I posted my fix for this problem somewhere on the forum, but it is easy to explain again: I pulled the frames off, unscrewed the clips that holds them to the walls, used two pair of channel locks (one small and one larger) to slightly bend each end of the clips out to widen them, and replaced the clips. I haven't had the frames come lose since that fix. Oh, and by the way, I turned the frames upside down so that the "privacy" (opaque) screen is at the bottom, and really like how that turned out. Do be careful if using a powered screwdriver: The clips can spin and could cut a finger. (I held the clips with the small channel lock when unscrewing and screwing.)

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Spike,

I did read your post about that and I did turn mine upside down.  I haven't adjusted the clip shape yet though.

I tend to like them better upside down too.

I discovered that washboard roads will reliably make them fall off and I've been looking for a way to reduce the extreme vibration that occurs in the trailer.  I thought I could lower the tire pressure on those roads and get by, but haven't found the answer yet.  Meanwhile, the microwave has tried to escape twice, one overhead door still occasionally opens and the seat cushions will not stay put even when turned sideways.

I have fixed the microwave situation by re-designing the cabinet and replacing the microwave.

Thanks for checking back in about the blinds.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderator+
...I did read your post about that and I did turn mine upside down. I haven’t adjusted the clip shape yet though...

John, if you remove the shades and put a small dab of caulking onto the metal tabs and then reinstall them, they will stay on until you want them to come off again.  A sturdy pull will break the slight adhesive bond of the caulk and they will come right off.  I did this several years ago and they've not fallen off again.  I did remove one once to clean the window track.  Not having any caulk on hand to reapply, I just popped it back on and it has ridden just fine since.  Apparently, the extra friction from the cured caulk is still enough to keep them in place.

• Thanks 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I’ve been looking for a way to reduce the extreme vibration that occurs in the trailer.  I thought I could lower the tire pressure on those roads and get by, but haven’t found the answer yet.

If and when you do, please let us all know. That vibration cannot be good for anything.

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jason sent me a replacement pump. I decided to perform the job yesterday.  How hard could it be? Videos and tutorials claim it is a thirty minute job. I always take more time when involved in my first mechanical foray. The unknown always provides a bit more anxiety than I am comfortable with, even when knowing I am capable of performing most repairs when it comes to owning a home.  But this home is on wheels and less than a hundred square feet. Being confined to working within a tight space never thrills me. This job was no exception. But the new pump works, and so far there is no filling of the fresh water tank while hooked to city water connection. However, there were three points I discovered while replacing this pump:

The four nuts and bolts used to fasten the pump to the makeshift metal plate need to be replaced with something like wing nuts so you can actually get to them with your fingers. Tools just don’t work too well with this poor design. Impossible to get the existing washer and nut back on and in one case one nut was lost. It took me another half hour to find a proper nut in the can that holds my spares. A most disagreeable introduction to a poor design.

I was not aware that I would need instead of the typical wire nut tie a crimping style with tool to match. For the time being I installed the pump with the wire nuts I had and ordered from amazon what I need to complete the job properly. The flexible protective sheath of course would not fit over the wires due to what I did and that too will have to be done over.

Replacement pumps cost about $70.  The model Oliver sent me was a SHURFLO 4008-101-A65, 3.0 GPM RV Water Pump Revolution, 12V.  According to Shurflo the exact same pump is also a 4008-101-E65 which is a brand new pump, whereas the A65 actually could be a used and rebuilt aftermarket.

I bled enough for one day due to the sharp metal and less than admirable design. It seems the fabricators were more concerned with the initial installation instead of ease of operation if and when the pump might fail. And while speaking the other day to a man who has been living on a schooner for the last few years he informed me that this will not be the last water pump I replace. He also advised that everyday I will be working on something or other having to do with our new RV. It is the nature of the beast.

IMG_1469.thumb.jpg.fbdf03ac85fdf8c7e5412d6ee5c35041.jpg

IMG_1472.thumb.jpg.9365bac92c3b540cdd74418d20a129c7.jpg

IMG_1470.thumb.jpg.6850c6296f5c04477737f54479231200.jpg

• Thanks 2

travelmap2023.jpg