I-90 sightseeing

WhatDa

Looking for recommendations I-80/ I-90 -- we're heading west from NY to WA.  Currently have yellowstone/rushmore on the list but looking for some eastern sights worth seeing.  We'll be a little time crunched so we can't go hours/days off the path, but detours for something nice are appreciated as well as good overnight locations.  It will be the second week of October.

Between Olivers…

• Moderators

We just visited Indiana Dunes National Park, just off I-80, 50 miles west of Chicago.  It’s not in the class of Yellowstone but it’s a NP that’s close to I-80 and it’s worth a stop for the night or just to stretch your legs with a walk on the beach.

Edit: There is no electric at Dunewood campground.  My apologies.

Mike

The Dunewoods campground is electric only with central water and a dump station.  The shower rooms are clean as are the restrooms.  Depending on traffic, Starved Rock State Park is about 3 hours from the Dunes or 100 miles west of Chicago and also just of off I-80.  The campground is not quite as clean as Dunewoods, but not bad.  Lots of hiking available at Starved Rock.

And I forgot the RV/MH Hall of Fame in Elkhart, IN.  It can be done in a couple of hours and has some interesting campers from the 30's and up.

Happy camping,

Mike

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Letchworth SP in western new New York, east of Rochester, near Castile, isn't far off the 90, but closes the campground mid October. Absolutely beautiful, in any season. Check their website before you plan to stay. They usually close 8th to 12th of October.. great, if it fits your schedule and route.

Conversely, you could cut south, skip some of the tolls, and rejoin 90 near Erie PA, and spend a night at Allegheny State park near Salamanca, south of Buffalo. It's a pretty park, and quite big. I think both campgrounds are open til end of October. We had electricity, but not water, if I remember correctly, in Red Cabin cg. Bring plenty of leveling material.

Going west, many campgrounds close mid September or mid October. But, hardy midwesterners love snowshoeing, croiss country skiing, and winter camping, so some sites in Minnesota state parks stay open year round. Look at Myre Big Island, near Albert Lea, just off 90. I haven't stayed there, as I have plenty of nearby relatives where we driveway camp?, but I've heard it is beautiful. And at least some sites open thru the winter.

Something "corny" is the world famous corn palace, Mitchell, SD. The city has a campground at little Lake Mitchell. Very clean, if a little worn, but super nice midwestern people. I think that it will still be open. Just call ahead.

You'll miss the Hostfest in Minot, its in September this year... too bad. That's definitely worth the stop.

Carry a portapotty or luggable loo, just in case. You may not have open dump stations or hookups everywhere on your route, but pit toilets are generally open. Best to be prepared for late fall/ winter, where camping season is over, and pipes can freeze, so full hookup sires are generally closed, of course.

We had a lot of snow one day a few years ago in October when I drove my mom up to Minnesota for a family event. Not fun for a Florida transplant. But that early the season, everything melted by noon..

Good luck, and gave fun.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We'll have the composting toilet thankfully (wife agreed, service is putting it in now).  The 7th through the 11th aren't looking to be super cold yet, otherwise I have to decide if I am going to get some 18" wheels and snow tires for the TV.  Weather might also divert us further south for better pass crossings.

Between Olivers…