Split: what are the basics?

BuckandConnie

• Moderators
I’m completely new to the Oliver lifestyle so all your ideas are greatly appreciated ? Do you have any suggestions about essentials for cooking? Pans, bowls etc etc??? Thank you

I would suggest you first determine what type of camping you are going to do.  Will it it be in formal campgrounds with electric, water and sewer or state and national parks that might just have electric?  Or will it be Boondocking on BLM land?  The reason I suggest thinking about it this way, is that we cook a little differently in each campground type.

Now you need to determine menus that will work for your diet and camping style.  For instance, I don’t like to cook breakfast on travel days.  Cereal or a bagel allows us to break camp faster and get on the road.  And if we have multiple travel days back to back, I’ll grill multiple chicken pieces, pork chops or hamburgers that can be heated up quickly in the microwave.  I’m not looking for Michelin meals while camping, so we keep it simple.

We very rarely cook inside as most everything is cooked outside on the gas grill and others OTTO's cook over a fire pit or charcoal grill.  I do carry a cast iron Dutch Oven sometimes for group meals, but it is heavier than I like for most trips.  Also grilling mats will protect you cookware from grills that are sometimes rusty or greasy. And the are easy to clean.

Now I that You have an idea of how an you are going to camp and cook, you should have an idea of what you might need.  After 44 years of marriage, we have too much stuff, so we moved some of it to the trailer and went camping.  Then we started a list of what we needed, what we wanted and what we had to have.  And even though we do that every camping trip, we still take too much, but we’re getting lighter all the time.

Thrift stores and garage sales are a great source of lightly used cooking items that you do not mind abusing.  Look for light weight items when possible no matter where find them.  And don’t forget aluminum foil and pans.  The pans are light and reusable if you chose.  And square items store better than round, so look for them.

Happy camping,

Mike

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

I split this from another topic. Hope you guys are ok with it, but I think it deserves its own run.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We to have no cooking routine, it just depend on where we are at and the camping style at the time. We don't carry too much in the way of cooking items, that is one frying pan, one spatula, you get the idea. Paper plates are probably used 80 % of the time and cooking outside on the gas grill is our preferred choice. You will be surprised by how much you really don't need for everyday camping. A coffee maker, toaster, are everyday used items for us, so get a small ones that are space saving. We are only using the two upper cabinets and three lower drawers for cooking and eating items, beyond that you are caring too much stuff that will probably not be needed. We setup our trailer to be a total independent from what we use at home and you will soon see how little you really need for camping, have the wife make her list and you make yours, hers will be the inside stuff and yours the outside stuff and each will work out to have what is needed. Remember Walmart is not too far down the road for those inexpensive items you forgot, or just need to add to the trailer.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.