Fresh water tank maintenance

I was thinking the other day about my fresh water tank and does it need to be cleaned with bleach, or some product that is used for this. I guess the reason for asking this is our trailer has now gone five months without use, the tank was drained when last used, but I'm sure not all the water can drain out under the tanks design, etc. Today I'm going to wash the trailer, and fire up all the accessories and let them run for sometime and hope all is working as it should. I'm also going to open my gate valves and work them to keep them freed up, I to have a sewer drain at home so dumping is not a problem for me and yes they were flushed three times as I do on every return home for proper cleaning per the Oliver manual. All being said is there anything else I should give attention to as we do not have no idea when our next camping event will be. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Yes this is something that should be done annually, in spring, including ALL the water lines. I use a hand pump to suck treated water from a bucket into the outside ports.The fresh tank is a little hard to completely treat, but if you can tow it around for a while with chlorinated water sloshing, that will be best. If you can't don't sweat it.

For your 30 gallon tank you need half a cup of fresh beach. Do not use old stuff, it loses potency. After three hours flush flush flush until it no longer smells like the pool at the YMCA.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Agree with John.  I usually do this before our big spring trip.  I just pour some bleach into the fresh water hose before I fill the tank.  Then I let it sit while I do other stuff then rinse until there’s no smell.  I run some through the kitchen and bath while it’s bleachie.  As soon as the rain and oak pollen stop here I’m going to pull ours over for a few days to wash, wax and do some other maintenance.  The fresh tank is full from our February trip, I was thinking we’d be on the road....  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Change smoke/ CO detector batteries and test detector.

Check egress window function.  Re familiarize yourself with operation, best with eyes closed for nighttime egress.

Check torque on all recommended bolts.

Check/ replace batteries in fan and TV remotes as well as any other battery powered items.  I like to replace seasonally to protect against battery leaks.

My approach.  Put 1/4 cup bleach mixed in 6 or 7 gallons of water.  I do this with my portable water jug.  Draw through boon docking feed then repeat with another 1/4 cup bleach mixed with water.  I then put a little bleach and water in the jugs and the fresh water hoses and sanitize them while I'm at it.  Fill remainder of tank and run through all of the lines.  I usually let sit overnight.  I think it should be at least 12 hours though.  Drain and flush all lines until clear of bleach.  If you have a septic at home I wouldn't drain the bleach into the septic.  You also will need to be careful of the deodorizer you use.  I like John's method of letting the chlorinated water slosh around some.

Clean water pump screen. 

Get underneath and visually inspect all of the welds for cracks. 

Check tires for uneven wear, cracking and pressure.

• Thanks 4

2018 LE2 STD #365

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4

• 2 weeks later...

You should also sanitize and then flush the city and water fill lines from the street side inlets.  Some of the bleach mix pumped into the lines with the winterizing pump will do this.  These lines can be then flushed with a city water hose hooked up.

2018 LE2 STD #365

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4