Articulating off road trailer hitch

FJV

Hello: 

Currently in the market for an Elite. Add placed in the classifieds of the forum. I've never towed a RV style trailer. I am towing two quads on a single axle trailer upgraded with a Standen 3500 lb axle, no brakes. Total maximum weight of the trailer and equipment towed is 3300 lbs. Using a MAX Coupler, rated at 6000 lbs, as the articulating hitch. The hitch works well towing on mud oil lease roads, gravel and the asphalt highway. Initially a bit of sway on asphalt but repositioning the quads and adding two mud chucking spare tires between the coupler and trailer body for added tongue weight resolved the issue of trailer sway. No issues towing the unit through ditches and uneven terrain. Tow vehicle is at times either the V8 or V6 4Runner.

I've read and believe that using an anti sway hitch is truly important for control of a travel trailer. Are there articulating anti sway hitches?

If the solid anti sway bars of an anti sway are released would this provide articulation sufficient to tow the trailer through a ditch or steep incline decline surfaces at low speed?

My terminology regarding the solid anti sway bars is probably incorrect but I refer to the solid bars that attach to the coupler and terminate on the trailer frame.

I’m sure Overland while chime in, as far as I know he is the only one here with an off-road coupler on an Ollie. He tows a LE2 with a Raptor. Search his posts.

I have used a Treg coupler before, but it was on a dinky aluminum utility trailer (750 pounds loaded). I towed that trailer for maybe 30,000 miles over all kinds of surfaces. I personally would be VERY uncomfortable towing off pavement with a single axle Elite and a 4Runner. You don’t want any bars in that situation, so your TV has to be stout enough to deal with the load and the jerking without using them. I would be happy with a LE1, an articulating hitch, and my Land Cruiser. That would be a dandy expedition setup. The LE1 is small but it is a heavy tank when loaded down. 

As far as sway goes, Ollies don’t sway. I haven’’t heard a single complaint of lateral instability, at all, in the five years I have been here, not even with an exploded tire... OTH vertical jouncing on choppy highways may be a big problem if you tow without an Andersen, which is the only WD hitch that will work, unless you cut away the bottom of the propane “doghouse”. And nobody has done that yet, and bragged about it. I might, one winter. I think it would look fine with the frame rails exposed there, and it would give you an alternative place for mounting stuff like a wheeled swing out tongue jack.

Welcome to the forum. I like hearing from folks who want to go explore the more remote places.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hi John and thanks for chiming in on this topic.

Good to know that the Ollie tows well. Thought the anti sway would be a necessary feature as it is an added value extra by the trailer manufacturer. 

I will search Overland and look forward to his comments, possibly ( Hahaha).

THe 2008 Limited V8 4Runner has the umph and an additional 2 inch clearance. Currently I tow two quads and other material on a single axle Standen 3500 lb axle, no brakes. Experienced sway but added tongue weight, two mud chucking spare trailer tires between the hitch and trailer body. 4Runner is loaded with materials and cruising on gravel both units are tanks. Good description from you. Mud chucking trailer tires are carried as spares as I once towed/dragged the 3300 lb trailer and toys through 27 kilometer of wet  gumbo down embankments over wooden bridges south of Carrot Creek Alberta Canada, close to where I live The gumbo plugged the trailer tires in the wheel wells and the 4Runner had what I call city slicker tires. Michelin M/S. Basically a highway tire.  The Michelins worked although the entire trip was Locked in 4 LOW. When the gravel road appeared it was an Oasis. THe secondary 4Runner, 2006 Limited, Hankook Mud terrain tires has a front bumper with winch from ShrockWorks.  Worth my time to purchase and install this unit. Has saved many long walks out of the back country.

The TV will be the first Item I remove from the Elite and any other non essential weight. Hanging or bolted down. I'm done sleeping and living out of the 4Runners. Time for luxury. Thanks for the tip about the WD hitch. 

Currently reading the article about the self composting waste management system. Interesting!

Cheers!

An inquiry made to 3P.

10 degrees is limiting. 

Reply: 

Hello Frank,
The 3P Hitch System does have movement to accommodate many types of terrain. We have many owners that boondock and are in all kinds of different situations. The hitch has the ability to pitch upward 10 degrees and downward 45 degrees for more extreme hitching/ unhitching situations. You will also enjoy up to a 87 degree turn radius.
If you provide some additional information about your setup, I can recommend what hitch will best fit your rig.

As John mentioned, I've had a multi-axis hitch on my trailer since I got it and I really do love it, though I hesitate to recommend it to anyone simply because it's a bit off book, not being a WD hitch, and as such carries some risk on a few levels.   Here's an earlier thread that should answer most of your questions:

I agree with John, that a WD hitch on an Ollie is entirely for weight distribution and not sway.  Weight transfer shouldn't be ignored - I'd like to find a way to add a WD kit to the McHitch, or to add some extra weight to the front of my truck.  Good excuse for a winch.

There's a former Ollie owner who says that he's made a deal to import the McHitches, but we haven't seen him around for a while.  I asked him about getting a WD kit so I could experiment with it, but he promptly ghosted me.  

Edited by Overland

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Overland said:

There's a former Ollie owner who says that he's made a deal to import the McHitches, but we haven't seen him around for a while.  I asked him about getting a WD kit so I could experiment with it, but he promptly ghosted me.  

John (Raspy) jumps on this forum if you PM him.  He likes to talk about his McHitch and his Black Series!  He’s also a big Oliver supporter over on the Fiberglass RV forums.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 9/25/2020 at 1:04 PM, John E Davies said:

I’m sure Overland while chime in, as far as I know he is the only one here with an off-road coupler on an Ollie. He tows a LE2 with a Raptor. Search his posts.

I have used a Treg coupler before, but it was on a dinky aluminum utility trailer (750 pounds loaded). I towed that trailer for maybe 30,000 miles over all kinds of surfaces. I personally would be VERY uncomfortable towing off pavement with a single axle Elite and a 4Runner. You don’t want any bars in that situation, so your TV has to be stout enough to deal with the load and the jerking without using them. I would be happy with a LE1, an articulating hitch, and my Land Cruiser. That would be a dandy expedition setup. The LE1 is small but it is a heavy tank when loaded down. 

As far as sway goes, Ollies don’t sway. I haven’’t heard a single complaint of lateral instability, at all, in the five years I have been here, not even with an exploded tire... OTH vertical jouncing on choppy highways may be a big problem if you tow without an Andersen, which is the only WD hitch that will work, unless you cut away the bottom of the propane “doghouse”. And nobody has done that yet, and bragged about it. I might, one winter. I think it would look fine with the frame rails exposed there, and it would give you an alternative place for mounting stuff like a wheeled swing out tongue jack.

Welcome to the forum. I like hearing from folks who want to go explore the more remote places.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Appears the statement made about the 8 cylinder Toyota 4Runner in an article about 4Runner Towing" Personally, we’re glad we upgraded from our beloved 4 Runner to a Tundra.  If the 4 Runner is rated for 5,000 lbs, make sure that the trailer weight doesn’t exceed that capacity.  The 1885 in Tom’s situation was 3700# dry weight.  The gross weight was likely (just like our 1685) scary close to the 5,000# limit. 

After reading the article following is a brief comment:

The V8 4Runner, in the article, is rated @ 7000 lbs not 5000 lbs. Once again a reporter is negligent in knowing and stating facts.  Makes one cringe as much as when I hear or read "I heard this on the internet". Hahaha. A great source of information when stated by a knowledgeable source. 

Very unfortunate to ride in a rutted surface but this does occur. The Tundra, dependent upon year and model of V8, will pull a greater load but it is a lighter vehicle. Would the same situation have occurred with the Tundra? Who knows! I've been present at many vehicle accident scenes. Listening to the "What Happened" and looking into the eyes and knowing more than their statement was occurring at the time. "Cell Phones" The need to answer and reply immediately does nox mix well with driving. Add impairing drugs and we know the possible deadly outcome. Eating. Smoking> etc