Pro Breeze dehumidifier(s)

Patriot

On 11/14/2020 at 8:43 PM, Susan Huff said:

We just ordered and received this dehumidifier. Haven't had a chance to test it out, as our Oliver has not been delivered yet (but soon - very soon!).  I might try it in my potting shed at home and see how it performs.

While researching humidity control, I did not know there are different types of dehumidifiers: some designed for controlling humidity while the trailer is in storage and others (more efficient?) for use while the trailer is occupied - the reason being that there is more excess humidity created when live bodies are involved.  Thus, square footage is not the only consideration.  Since we are more concerned about condensation at night, when the temperature drops, the trailer is receiving less ventilation, and we are sleeping in a more enclosed environment, we opted for the "dessicant" type.  Maybe someone can explain the differences in the types.

I will report the findings on my potting shed test.  The square footage is similar to the Elite II and it is insulated, though not as well as the Oliver.

Test underway measuring temp deg F/humidity % outside and in the potting shed.  Started with dehumidifier on low setting, but changed to high as indicated.

12:30 : outside = 43/94  inside = 55/65

1:30 : outside = 48/93 inside = 55/60

2:00 increased dehumidifier setting to high 

3:00 : outside = 50/90 inside = 55/58 turned on space heater @ low setting

4:00 : outside = 47/91 inside = 61/51

5:00: outside = 43/92  inside = 62/48

For reference: interior house is 72/39 with wood heat and HVAC air circulation on

Turning the unit off; will measure amount of water when it shuts off

Of course the environment did not include two person respiration and there was no outside ventilation.  Walls are insulated, but two windows are single pane.

Considering this brief test, I think the unit should perform well enough to keep condensation in check.  The addition of ventilation through the roof vent should compensate for having people on board.

As for the operation of the dehumidifier, it has a great LED display and is easily adjusted for a set humidity or to run continually.  Set at low, you can barely tell it's running; on high it is similar to white noise.  The display can be dimmed for nighttime.  The only thing it doesn't have that would be nice is a digital display of the water level; as it is you have to visually inspect.  You do have the option of attaching a drain tube and I believe it will shut itself down if the water reservoir reaches capacity.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

19 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Test underway measuring temp deg F/humidity % outside and in the potting shed.  Started with dehumidifier on low setting, but changed to high as indicated.

12:30 : outside = 43/94  inside = 55/65

1:30 : outside = 48/93 inside = 55/60

2:00 increased dehumidifier setting to high 

3:00 : outside = 50/90 inside = 55/58 turned on space heater @ low setting

4:00 : outside = 47/91 inside = 61/51

5:00: outside = 43/92  inside = 62/48

For reference: interior house is 72/39 with wood heat and HVAC air circulation on

Turning the unit off; will measure amount of water when it shuts off

Of course the environment did not include two person respiration and there was no outside ventilation.  Walls are insulated, but two windows are single pane.

Considering this brief test, I think the unit should perform well enough to keep condensation in check.  The addition of ventilation through the roof vent should compensate for having people on board.

As for the operation of the dehumidifier, it has a great LED display and is easily adjusted for a set humidity or to run continually.  Set at low, you can barely tell it's running; on high it is similar to white noise.  The display can be dimmed for nighttime.  The only thing it doesn't have that would be nice is a digital display of the water level; as it is you have to visually inspect.  You do have the option of attaching a drain tube and I believe it will shut itself down if the water reservoir reaches capacity.

Follow-up on yesterday's unscientific test of the Ivation desiccant dehumidfier:

With approximately 3.5 hours of operation, the humidity in our garden shed was reduced from 65-45%; the reservoir collected 2 1/2 cups of water, slightly more than 1/8 of its capacity.

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks for the report. That should be helpful to a lot if people

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 weeks later...

We started with a small-ish Tenergy unit that doubles as a HEPA air purifier.

https://life.tenergy.com/sorbi-1000ml-air-dehumidifier-and-air-purifier/

It does a great job removing food smells and air pollution, so we continue to travel with it. Unfortunately, the dehumidifier was too slow for a wet climate, so we also purchased the GE model. It's effective, but heavy and bulky as you said, so I'll be curious if you find something more suitable.

spacer.png

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2020 at 11:43 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Maybe someone can explain the differences in the types.

Let me resurrect this thread! 🙂 This link explains very well the difference between a desiccant and compressor dehumidifier.
https://ionmax.com.au/blogs/resources/desiccant-or-compressor-dehumidifier#:~:text=Desiccant dehumidifiers operate much quieter,level of over 45 dB.

In a nutshell...
Desiccant dehumidifiers: Can increase the surrounding temperature up to 3-5°C **nice for colder weather**, perform well regardless of the surrounding temperature, hence, a desiccant dehumidifier is more suitable if you live in a climate with four seasons.

Compressor dehumidifiers: work well at temperatures above 20°C (68°F), suitable for indoor environments that are warm, excellent choice for those living in year-long warm climates

• Like 4

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison